• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying a judgment while in Ch 13

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJD_0214

Illinois

Hello, My wife and I are currently 2 years into our Ch 13 and in repayment. My wife had a judgment that was included in our BR but it is still open since we are making the monthly payments. However, We are loosing our rental and would like to buy a house and cannot get a mortgage with an open judgment. Is there a way to get a release of judgment on this? Can we just pay it off outside of our BR?

justalayman

You can do that.
No but the debtor can do that. The trustee controls your finances during the BK so if you wish to alter the plan they have established, it must be approved by them. They are also going to want to know where you are getting the funds to pay off this debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">