• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cns

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? neb.

I have some accounts that went to collections while my child was in hospital. I am currently paying a company that bought 2 of my accounts. I pay a set amount on both every month.
I finally got up the courage to look at my credit report and found that the second account that I'm paying on was sold with a balance far less than what they are trying to collect. First account is fine I am being charged interest but it is a fair amount.
Here are details on second account.
original creditor sold account in 05/2010 they last reported that they sold it with a balance of $276.
collection agency is not reporting but are charging me $535.
I have been paying on it since 08/2010. I do pay the minimum. It is set up that once first is paid off that payment will be added to this one to pay off both.
I spoke to Original creditor about the amount that they reported at the time that it was sold. They claim that it is reported accurately.
I called the collection agency and asked if I could see the accounting used to reach amount owed. They said they bought the account with a balance of $518.

I want to pay off what I owe and I understand added interest will be on these accounts but this seems like an error or someone is gouging.

Collection agency asked me what I wanted I said an accounting report showing how they went from 270 to 535. Or make the collection for 270 plus fair interest.

Is this a fair request and how does this happen?

justalayman

unless there is something in your contract with the hospital that would allow the increase in the debt, all you should have owed would be the $276. If the CA refuses to provide anything justifying the increase, you have the choice of either paying it or not. If you don't, then they can either sue you or not. If they do, you can defend this by claiming the amount is not correct.

Unless interest is included in your original contract, you cannot be charged interest, unless you subsequently agree to it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">