• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Payments from freelance work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

5times_a_mom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

I have a child support hearing coming up in a few weeks. I had fallen behind by about $4000 on my child support due to a typo in the divorce decree that I had not caught in time to get changed.

I have been making my payments in full every month since the last hearing including payment toward arrearages, but I do not have a regular job. I work as a freelance writer to make the payments.

Will the fact that I don't have a "real" job hurt me as long as I am making my payments as ordered by the court?

Also, if it does hurt me not to have a "real" job, how would I go about getting them to return my driver's license so that I can get a real job, because there are not any bus lines close by?

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

I have a child support hearing coming up in a few weeks. I had fallen behind by about $4000 on my child support due to a typo in the divorce decree that I had not caught in time to get changed.

I have been making my payments in full every month since the last hearing including payment toward arrearages, but I do not have a regular job. I work as a freelance writer to make the payments.

Will the fact that I don't have a "real" job hurt me as long as I am making my payments as ordered by the court?

Also, if it does hurt me not to have a "real" job, how would I go about getting them to return my driver's license so that I can get a real job, because there are not any bus lines close by?

It should not hurt that you do not have a "real" job as long as your payments are coming in.

Explain the "typo" that is resulting in $4,000 in arrears, please.

You can reinstate your driver's license by calling the CSA and (NICELY) asking to enter into a payment plan for Driver's License Reinstatement.

Be preapred to make at least one month's add'l payment at the time you sign it. (States vary on how much they require, and so do the various counties. I've seen it range from 1 month's obligation to 120% of one month, to 3 months' oblig, to "pay it all".)

Best of luck.

5times_a_mom

The agreement was that I would have $8000 credit toward child support due to the fact that I had gotten nothing from the divorce, and because at the time of the divorce, he owed me back child support as we had joint custody up until the divorce was final.

My child support was to be taken out of that credit until it was used up, starting in April of 2007. This was in the minutes of the prove up hearing like that. When the divorce decree was typed up, it said 2006 where it was supposed to say 2007. I was just so relieved to get the divorce decree that I didn't read it that carefully. As a result, I owe an extra year's worth of child support. I know that part was my fault, so although I'm a little angry with myself about it, I can live with it, and just work to pay it off the best I can. It will eventually be paid off. It's not like it's a huge amount. It's just going to take some time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">