• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

People parking and blocking my driveway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I live near a small elementary school and parents are forever parking in front of my driveway and of course blocking it.

I wanted to video them doing this and getting their reaction when I question them and then compile all of this and go to the city council to ask them for police enforcement.

My question is, can I video tape them and then show the video to others without getting their consent?

I would love to follow them home and block them in and video their reactions , but I think following them home could get me in trouble. It would be cool to post the video on YouTube but not sure if that also will get me in trouble.

Thanks!

Mitch

patstew

Have you investigated whether a city ordinance already exists? For instance, in my location (admittedly not Colorado) you can't park within five feet of a driveway. We routinely get calls from homeowners re: driveway violations, send the mobile parking officer over there, and give them a $25 ticket.

They won't do it too many times after receiving one of those!

Certainly if the ordinance doesn't exist, petition your City Council to institute one. Then CALL when it happens.

Have you tried talking to the school administration and asking them to notify parents picking up their kids not to block driveways on the street? That might be your quickest and easiest first step.

I live near a small elementary school and parents are forever parking in front of my driveway and of course blocking it.

I wanted to video them doing this and getting their reaction when I question them and then compile all of this and go to the city council to ask them for police enforcement.

My question is, can I video tape them and then show the video to others without getting their consent?

I would love to follow them home and block them in and video their reactions , but I think following them home could get me in trouble. It would be cool to post the video on YouTube but not sure if that also will get me in trouble.

Thanks!

Mitch
You have a first amendment right to video tape in public.

HomeGuru

Thanks!

Mitch

**A: drivers can block your driveway by standing but must move if you need to get in and out. The are not allowed to park in front of your driveway. Park meeting turning the engine off and leaving the vehicle.

cyjeff

I have also seen some really good results from a sign in the yard that says, "If the driveway is blocked, the police WILL be called."

FlyingRon

**A: drivers can block your driveway by standing but must move if you need to get in and out. The are not allowed to park in front of your driveway. Park meeting turning the engine off and leaving the vehicle.
Neither of the above statements are true.

Even standing is prohibited in most situations

(2) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (4) of this section, in addition to the restrictions specified in subsection (1) of this section, no person shall stand or park a vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or in compliance with the directions of a police officer or an official traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(a) Within five feet of a public or private driveway;

and

(67) "Park" or "parking" means the standing of a vehicle, whether occupied or not, other than very briefly for the purpose of and while actually engaged in loading or unloading property or passengers.​

Have you tried contacting the school? I've found that school personnel are often helpful in coercing proper behavior out of the parents.

My mother had a similar problem with a local church. A couple of well placed traffic cones about the time services were held greatly decreased the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">