• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

perm nerve damage, muscle wasting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summer bee

What is the name of your state?New York State

While in surgeons office for post surgery six month followup, fusion with instrumentation, I complained of a pain I had to the side of incision. The physician asisstant said that it was probably my SI joint and that they could give me an injection for that. I said ok... The shot was VERY painful, almost vomited, almost fainted. Within a few minutes I felt better and left office. About a month later I noticed a hole/dent in my back at injection site. Also more pain there.

Next visit I showed physician asisstant the dent in my back and said it hurt even more. They suggested another injection for the pain. Same location, I didn't Feel the needle at all this time.

Next visit dent was larger & pain was worse. While not addressing my concern about hole in my back, they suggested a third injection to be done in hospital. That was done with aid of xray machine.

Long story short, I just had an emg/nc. I have perm nerve damage at site of injection which has caused almost complete atrophy of paraspinal muscle there. Muscle is wasting. Pain is worse. I'm being told by several dr's there is nothing I can do about it, as it is permanent damage to nerve. Nerve no longer feeding muscle. There is now a 2x2 1/2 inch hole/dent in my back and still seems to be widening. Bone is visable.

I have much too late learned that these injections should always be done with the aid of an xray machine for guidance of the needle, and preformed by an experienced doctor, not a physician asisstant.

Can the physician asisstant that gave me injection be held liable?

Summer bee

New york State

Hi EC,
Thanks for reply. I'm new to this site and am not sure who to expect replies from. :confused: Are you a lawyer or someone with knowledge of lawsuits?

Do you know if a physician asisstant is personally responible or her employer the Doctor?

I'm so upset that a second asisstant gave me another injecton after seeing something was VERY wrong as a result of first one. After third shot, I had visit with surgeon pa again, I was told that they would like to do more surgery. This time on my SI joint, fusion. On my refusal, he renewed my perscriptions and referred me back to chiro who treated me before i had surgery.

Chiro was somewhat shocked by damage to my back. He sent me for the emg and scheduled appointment with another surgeon for second opinion. I'll see that dr this week.

EC, I appreciate any helpful advise..
Thanks!

panzertanker

ellencee said:
You bet your sweet bippy they can!
EC
And they should be!
Gather your records and see a MedMal attorney.

SI injections are almost always done under fluoroscopy. The collaborating physician will have to answer for this situation too. I cannot tell you much more other than my second sentence....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">