• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal creditors, watch yer mouths!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anabanana

What is the name of your state? FL

Just thought I'd share this, for the edification of all. The automatic stay is supposed to protect the "honest debtor" from harassment for payment by creditors, not to protect slithering scumbags who want to rip off their domestic partners and then throw pot shots at them from behind the protections of the BK system. You wouldn't be likely to get passionately livid hatemail from Chase Manhattan, but if you screw over a family member, well, it ain't gonna be all pretty conversations.

So yeah, I got set up, and I took the bait... several times over, responding to neener-neener comments and other nastiness, firing back angry emails full of hyperbole and vitriol. Bad idea.

The scumbag debtor then printed what were purported to be my emails, and attached them to a motion for sanctions on account of I violated the autostay! Oops. Forgot about that. It applies to me too. And even though the thief can continue to needle me with the success of his misdeeds, I can't respond. That sucks, but that's how it is.

Judge denied sanctions, not because of any sympathy for me, I think, but because there's no way in hell the scumbag can prove that those printouts actually represent emails that were actually sent by me. So he just ruled that I had in fact sent them, but that they were all just a big bitch fest and not really an attempt to coerce payment! Right on that point, yer honor.

But dang, that was close. He coulda slapped me around good. Just a word to the wise creditor whose ex has abused the BK system to do you harm... the jerk is protected and you're screwed. Better watch your mouth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">