• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Protection Orders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danasb

What is the name of your state? Mi.
Recently my 21 year old son and his ex-girlfriend split up. She had a PPO placed on him. During the time this order has been in effect they have had contact. They have both initiated the contact with no problems. She has called him several times, she has also went places with him. Just last week he had tickets to a ballgame. He invited her and she even came to my house to pick him up. They have spent nights together. All of this has happened while the PPO has been in place. I talked to her about this and she claims that it didn't matter as long as she made contact herself. Now I am not stupid but I do know better. If you are supposedly in fear of someone and have this order placed on them, why would you come near this person. My son has been an emotional roller-coaster since their breakup. One minute she wants to see him the next she is calling the police on him just because he is around. According to her, he never harmed her in any way but she knows that he has a bad temper when pushed. This past week, they were to meet at a police station so he could pick up the rest of his belongings from her. While at the police station she showed up with her new boyfriend. This was a shock to my son. He immediately became upset and jumped into his vehicle and took off. The police officer allowed her and her boyfriend to chase him. The police officer then went after him as well. During the chase he turned his vehicle abruptly to try to get away from them. As he turned he lost control of the vehicle and just missed hitting them and the officer. He then stopped his vehicle on top of a bridge and threatened to jump. During all of this she the ex-girlfriend was allowed to approach him and take his belongings. He is safe now and currently locked up in the county jail. He is facing 2 counts of felonious assault and possibly 4 years on both counts. I questioned the officers at the scene about her being around him during the PPO and they at first told me that the PPO was not legal at the time for some reason. Then a few days later they stated that it was. We spoke to another officer close to our family and he couldn't believe the stories that these officers had told us. I'm not totally blaming her for him breaking the law but it seems to me that both her and these officers are guilty of violating the PPO also. Can anyone help me out here because this woman seems to be getting away with some type of game along with the officers.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Mi.
Recently my 21 year old son and his ex-girlfriend split up. She had a PPO placed on him. During the time this order has been in effect they have had contact. They have both initiated the contact with no problems. She has called him several times, she has also went places with him. Just last week he had tickets to a ballgame. He invited her and she even came to my house to pick him up. They have spent nights together. All of this has happened while the PPO has been in place. I talked to her about this and she claims that it didn't matter as long as she made contact herself. Now I am not stupid but I do know better. If you are supposedly in fear of someone and have this order placed on them, why would you come near this person. My son has been an emotional roller-coaster since their breakup. One minute she wants to see him the next she is calling the police on him just because he is around. According to her, he never harmed her in any way but she knows that he has a bad temper when pushed. This past week, they were to meet at a police station so he could pick up the rest of his belongings from her. While at the police station she showed up with her new boyfriend. This was a shock to my son. He immediately became upset and jumped into his vehicle and took off. The police officer allowed her and her boyfriend to chase him. The police officer then went after him as well. During the chase he turned his vehicle abruptly to try to get away from them. As he turned he lost control of the vehicle and just missed hitting them and the officer. He then stopped his vehicle on top of a bridge and threatened to jump. During all of this she the ex-girlfriend was allowed to approach him and take his belongings. He is safe now and currently locked up in the county jail. He is facing 2 counts of felonious assault and possibly 4 years on both counts. I questioned the officers at the scene about her being around him during the PPO and they at first told me that the PPO was not legal at the time for some reason. Then a few days later they stated that it was. We spoke to another officer close to our family and he couldn't believe the stories that these officers had told us. I'm not totally blaming her for him breaking the law but it seems to me that both her and these officers are guilty of violating the PPO also. Can anyone help me out here because this woman seems to be getting away with some type of game along with the officers.
The PO is against HIm..She can do as she pleases without consequence. If your son has been in contact with this girl the HE is violating the PO. No one but your son is bound to the terms of the PO.

The whole drop off makes no sence to me...perhaps you could clarify??

danasb

The PO is against HIm..She can do as she pleases without consequence. If your son has been in contact with this girl the HE is violating the PO. No one but your son is bound to the terms of the PO.

Basically what it boils down to, this girl had this order placed against him and they continued seeing each other. This gave my son a lot of false hopes since he is really in Love with this girl. He has been very emotionally unstable since their breakup. She seemed to be using the PPO against him because he is already on probation from something a couple years ago. Then she shows up with her new boyfriend almost as if to throw it in his face. I was told that even though she had the PPO in place that she was also violating it by making contact with him. Police officers even let her near him. A police officer that we have been friends with for several years said that she should not have made any contact with him either because a PPO is used for protection if you are in fear of a person and that he believes she used to system just to play a game.

Just Blue

Basically what it boils down to, this girl had this order placed against him and they continued seeing each other.
Again...The only one bound by this COURT ORDER is your son. If he violated this order he is in the wrong.

This gave my son a lot of false hopes since he is really in Love with this girl. He has been very emotionally unstable since their breakup.
What was the reason for the order? Was he "emotonally unstable" during the relationship?

She seemed to be using the PPO against him because he is already on probation from something a couple years ago.
No...He is violating the COURT ORDER. If he is already on probation he should know better.

Then she shows up with her new boyfriend almost as if to throw it in his face. I was told that even though she had the PPO in place that she was also violating it by making contact with him.
She brought her new bf to the drop off for piece of mind..,She did nothing wrong. Who ever told you that she was "violating" the order is wrong. Unless the order specifically state the SHE is to have no contact then she did nothing illegal.

Police officers even let her near him.
Well...She was doing the drop off AT A POLICE STATION!!!!!! How else was she to give him his stuff?? The police are there to make sure there isn't any problems!!

A police officer that we have been friends with for several years said that she should not have made any contact with him either because a PPO is used for protection if you are in fear of a person and that he believes she used to system just to play a game.
Don' take legal advise fro a cop...unless that cop spent 8 years studying law...:rolleyes:

She went to the station to drop off your sons stuff..THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE!!!

Tell your son to have NOTHING to do with this girl. If she calls...let it go to the answering machine or voice mail. DO NOT have ANY contact with her!!!

Also your son should be seeing a professional regarding his "issues".

fairisfair

That is not always true Bay. Many times the PO applies to BOTH parties. there is no way to know without reading it.

danasb

Again...The only one bound by this COURT ORDER is your son. If he violated this order he is in the wrong.

She made more contact with him than he did with her. She has met him several times at her request.

What was the reason for the order? Was he "emotonally unstable" during the relationship?

Nothing that we are aware of. She has even stated herself to me that the only abuse ever in the relationship was by her.

No...He is violating the COURT ORDER. If he is already on probation he should know better.

I agree, he should have stayed away, except for this girl seeming to give him false hopes.

She brought her new bf to the drop off for piece of mind..,She did nothing wrong. Who ever told you that she was "violating" the order is wrong. Unless the order specifically state the SHE is to have no contact then she did nothing illegal.

Why would she need him for peace of mind when officers were present? Would he protect her more than they would?

Well...She was doing the drop off AT A POLICE STATION!!!!!! How else was she to give him his stuff?? The police are there to make sure there isn't any problems!!

Good choice but who was being protected since she said she is the only one to ever get violent.?

Don' take legal advise fro a cop...unless that cop spent 8 years studying law...:rolleyes:

As a matter of fact, the officer is married to an attorney.

She went to the station to drop off your sons stuff..THAT IS HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE!!!

I agree.

Tell your son to have NOTHING to do with this girl. If she calls...let it go to the answering machine or voice mail. DO NOT have ANY contact with her!!!

He is hard headed, we have told him for 2 years to stay away from her. Especially since the relationship started while she was still married and living with her husband.

Also your son should be seeing a professional regarding his "issues".
I agree totally.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">