• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petty Theft/ Shoplifting in California (Juvenile?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoCalResident

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California (Los Angeles)

Hello, the other day I was caught shoplifting two items from Target ($20+$50). While I deeply and sincerely sorry for doing so, my main concern is how much I will be charged.
While there, I overheard the officers mention "Petty theft". They then told me that because I am a minor (I turn 18 in 3 weeks) they will not take me to county. Afterwards, they proceeded to have me sign a slip of paper stating that I will show up to court and they fingerprinted me.
I will be starting college in a few weeks and will then become a broke college student. Because of this, I was wondering what fines I will face. More than anything, I do not want to burden my parents with too much and would rather spend time in jail if it means lowering the fine.
I have never been convicted of anything before and will turn 18 about a week before I need to appear in court.

What should I do? How much are lawyers? Should I get one? Can I get an expungement?

Thank you!

CdwJava

Hello, the other day I was caught shoplifting two items from Target ($20+$50). While I deeply and sincerely sorry for doing so, my main concern is how much I will be charged.
While there, I overheard the officers mention "Petty theft". They then told me that because I am a minor (I turn 18 in 3 weeks) they will not take me to county. Afterwards, they proceeded to have me sign a slip of paper stating that I will show up to court and they fingerprinted me.
I will be starting college in a few weeks and will then become a broke college student. Because of this, I was wondering what fines I will face. More than anything, I do not want to burden my parents with too much and would rather spend time in jail if it means lowering the fine.
I have never been convicted of anything before and will turn 18 about a week before I need to appear in court.

What should I do? How much are lawyers? Should I get one? Can I get an expungement?

Thank you!
You were probably given a citation with a criminal charge on it - what was that charge? I suspect it will be for a misdemeanor for PC 488 and/or PC 490.5 since the value of the items seems to be about $70. If you were cited into juvenile court, mom and dad may be notified and may be required to attend with you. It could be in your best interest to keep this in the juvenile court because you can then petition to have the record sealed once you complete probation and pay restitution (assuming you are found culpable - which in juvenile court is a "true finding.")

Your county may also have a diversion program available that will keep this from getting on your record at all ... provided you stay clear for a period of time and complete whatever program they have for you.

If this is charged as a misdemeanor (and it probably will be), then you will have the opportunity for court appointed counsel if your parents cannot afford an attorney for you.

The business may well send you a civil demand for between $50 and $500 (typically about $300). You can choose to pay it or not. But, if you do not pay it and they come after you for it, then there will be a nice civil court record and possibly a collections account on your credit report some time down the road. Whether you wish to gamble and hope they don't pursue you or not is up to you.

dave33

Thank you!
This is something you should talk to anattorney about. This may be seales/expunged when you turn 18 anyway. So a diversion may seem like a good idea to seal your record upon completion of the program but it may be sealed when you turn 18 anyway. It may be very likely mthe court will have you jump through a bunch of hoops for nothing when your record will be sealed regardless of the diversion program or not.

Many people whom have no experience with trhe diversion program think it's a good idea. The fact is that sometimes the diversion orders you to do many things that are ridiculous and have nothing to do with the original charge. Also, if you get expelled when you are 95% done with the program, not one day that you spent following orders means nothing and you have to start from day one.

California may be different, but if it was me in my state, I would plead no lo. The diversion entails much more than most people realize. goodluck.

SoCalResident

You were probably given a citation with a criminal charge on it - what was that charge? I suspect it will be for a misdemeanor for PC 488 and/or PC 490.5 since the value of the items seems to be about $70. If you were cited into juvenile court, mom and dad may be notified and may be required to attend with you. It could be in your best interest to keep this in the juvenile court because you can then petition to have the record sealed once you complete probation and pay restitution (assuming you are found culpable - which in juvenile court is a "true finding.")

Your county may also have a diversion program available that will keep this from getting on your record at all ... provided you stay clear for a period of time and complete whatever program they have for you.

If this is charged as a misdemeanor (and it probably will be), then you will have the opportunity for court appointed counsel if your parents cannot afford an attorney for you.

The business may well send you a civil demand for between $50 and $500 (typically about $300). You can choose to pay it or not. But, if you do not pay it and they come after you for it, then there will be a nice civil court record and possibly a collections account on your credit report some time down the road. Whether you wish to gamble and hope they don't pursue you or not is up to you.
Thank you for your reply, both here and on thelaw.com!

SoCalResident

This is something you should talk to anattorney about. This may be seales/expunged when you turn 18 anyway. So a diversion may seem like a good idea to seal your record upon completion of the program but it may be sealed when you turn 18 anyway. It may be very likely mthe court will have you jump through a bunch of hoops for nothing when your record will be sealed regardless of the diversion program or not.

Many people whom have no experience with trhe diversion program think it's a good idea. The fact is that sometimes the diversion orders you to do many things that are ridiculous and have nothing to do with the original charge. Also, if you get expelled when you are 95% done with the program, not one day that you spent following orders means nothing and you have to start from day one.

California may be different, but if it was me in my state, I would plead no lo. The diversion entails much more than most people realize. goodluck.
Thank you for the insight! I will seek an attorney immediately.

CdwJava

It should be noted that in CA a juvenile record does NOT get sealed automatically. When the probation is done and time is served, the party may petition (i.e. ASK) the court to seal it, but, this request can be opposed and it is not a given that it will be. It most often is, but, it depends on the facts and the circumstances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">