• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone and webcam usage per Parenting Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cobrakai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington You guys have helped me a lot so far and things had been going great but nothing is permanent with my sons mom. Part of the conditions of her moving to California with my son was that I'd get weekly phone calls or webcam chats with him. Well it's been almost 3 months and no webcam access at all. But oh, it gets better. She now wants me to pay for my son to have cell phone down there with him so she won't have to be bothered for whatever reason with taking a call from me to talk to my son. No where in the parenting plan does it say that I have to pay for both lines of communication. What is this all about? Is this a new trend I'm just not aware of?

So what actions should I take to get this resolved without causing WWIII? I have no desire to argue or do the blame game, I just want it fixed. We've done everything Pro Se so far. Is she in contempt for not having bought a webcam after almost 3 months and on top of that expecting me to pay for my 4 year old son to have a cell phone down there that's just for talking to me? Please someone, tell me what I need to do so I can move on from this childish way.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington You guys have helped me a lot so far and things had been going great but nothing is permanent with my sons mom. Part of the conditions of her moving to California with my son was that I'd get weekly phone calls or webcam chats with him. Well it's been almost 3 months and no webcam access at all. But oh, it gets better. She now wants me to pay for my son to have cell phone down there with him so she won't have to be bothered for whatever reason with taking a call from me to talk to my son. No where in the parenting plan does it say that I have to pay for both lines of communication. What is this all about? Is this a new trend I'm just not aware of?

So what actions should I take to get this resolved without causing WWIII? I have no desire to argue or do the blame game, I just want it fixed. We've done everything Pro Se so far. Is she in contempt for not having bought a webcam after almost 3 months and on top of that expecting me to pay for my 4 year old son to have a cell phone down there that's just for talking to me? Please someone, tell me what I need to do so I can move on from this childish way.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Do the orders state that the child has to call you, on mom's dime? That isn't the way it normally works. Normally you would be calling the child.

How much would it cost you to add your son to a family plan on your cellphone?...a phone that was programed so that only your numbers could be called?

Its actually pretty common for a non-custodial parent to provide their child a cellphone so that they can talk to them without the other parent running interference. However, I have to admit that I have never heard of it for a child as young as yours.

As far as the webcam is concerned, does mom have the finances to get a computer and webcam and get high speed internet access yet? If she does, then take her back to court for contempt. If she doesn't, then be a little more patient. However let her know that if you don't see some progress on that issue, that you WILL be taking her back to court for contempt.

terp

I was in the opposite position as you but my son's father kept demanding Skype time. I set it up no problem but father never bothered with getting a web cam so I went to best buy, bought one, sent it certified mail with son's skpye info and then followed up with an email with all the info (blind copied myself). guess what, took him another 2 months after receiving it but he stopped complaining.

Go buy a webcam and microphone. You can pick one up for $25, send it certified so you can track it. Send her an email too with all your skype info and tell her to watch for the package, be sure you copy yourself. Be done, eliminate the issue by providing it and then keep all documentation.

total cost of $35 (equipment and shipping) is soooo worth it!

MrJenkins

Why not just pay for the phone and the web cam. Both are not expensive and you save yourself an arguement, but also might talk to your kid more.

Win Win.

Zephyr

Why not just pay for the phone and the web cam. Both are not expensive and you save yourself an arguement, but also might talk to your kid more.

Win Win.
And- if she then further frustrates the issue, you look good for trying everything, her- not so much

meanyjack

I would also add a suggestion: possibly looking into VOIP. I've had it at my home for over a year and love it. No long-distance charges. There are good plans out there for $19.99 + taxes per month (including unlimited long distance in the US)

I would also add a suggestion: possibly looking into VOIP. I've had it at my home for over a year and love it. No long-distance charges. There are good plans out there for $19.99 + taxes per month (including unlimited long distance in the US)
Hey Meanyjack,

Just curious, what is VOIP?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">