• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Bill Attachment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SnowCajun

What is the name of your state? Washington state!

Let me know what you guys think of this, I filed a complaint with the State Attorney Generals Office yesterday, it's below the dotted line. This is a new thing for me, I've never have seen it before but it may be more common than I realize. I would have thought it to be legal to do, but apparently I'm incorrect about that. Let me know what you think of this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, November 12th 2007, while discussing a change to our phone plan with Qwest, my roommate and I wanted to remove the voice mail feature and call waiting, she and I have lived together for 13 years. While discussing with Qwest our phone information we discovered we had a 3rd party company that had attached payments to our phone bill through Qwest for something we had never signed up for. Orbit Telecom had somehow claimed we'd given them permission for payments of $14.95 a month since July 10, 2004 and we don't have a clue who this company even is, nor have we ever used their services! We don't even know what they do. We've always seen them on our phone bill under the heading of "Enhanced Telecommunications Services", but to our knowledge that was nothing more than our extended calling plan with Qwest.

Sometimes it seems it takes a college course to decipher your telephone bill. Needless to say we weren't pleased with this, they've deducted right at 40 months of payments for something we didn't even have knowledge we were paying for, and Qwest surely was no help stating it's not their responsibility to let us know, that the government has let these leech like company's have the ability to attach payments to our phone bill without our having even the slightest notice. We've never received anything from them via real mail before. What a sneaky thing to do to someone. This is nearly $600 worth of payments we certainly never authorized, that we surely can't afford to just throw to the wind, nor were services from Orbit Telecomm ever used. If we'd not discovered them they'd have sat there taking our money forever. That's probably how they work this scheme, they sit there hoping people won't catch on until it's too late.

I told Qwest I wanted this stopped immediately, that I had never given anyone permission to attach any payments to our phone bill and felt terribly cheated that Qwest would allow such a thing to be attached without notifying us in any manner. Their only response was that the government allows that to happen and there's nothing they can do about it, that we should have paid more attention to our bill. Qwest offered to stop any further payments to Orbit Telecom and refund one months payment.

Qwest then put me in contact with Orbit Telecom and I told a lady named Catherine at 1-888-302-3724 that I immediately wanted my money refunded in full, that I had never given them permission in any form or fashion to debit my phone bill $14.95 a month. They explained to me that my roommate had signed up for this on July 10th, 2004 in response to a spam type of coupon offer from unsolicited random email. She had no idea of this nor had she ever heard of Orbit Telecom either.

This is nothing short of a scam, they've stolen right at $600 from us over three years with the help of Qwest by way of Qwest masquerading the bill with a label that gave the appearance of being a charge from them instead of a third party company. This was done in a manner that hid what was happening and we didn't realize it.

Orbit Telecomm has told us they'd refund 20 months of payments, but why should they be allowed to keep half of what they deceitfully took from us, they claimed that 20 months was their limit of refundability. It must be nice to have the power to make such arbitrary decisions on such short notice with the only intent to not have to refund all they've illegally taken. I must say that's quite an easy profit with no expenditure of effort to provide anything other than collecting our cash.

We feel our money was taken from us without our permission, that this was nothing short of theft and we want it returned in full. How can it be acceptable for a business to have these hidden things in spam email that allows them to do this, to attach debits to someone's phone bill in this manner and take their money with the knowledge of the phone company and no acknowledgement to the customer this is happening? It's crooked and it's nothing short of robbery in my opinion, it's almost like one of these places that offers you this or that for free but you have to give them your credit card information first, that it's only free if you sign up for a membership and they sit back hoping and praying that you'll forget to cancel the membership so they can scoop in your cash before you realize you never cancelled what they offered as free up front.

SnowCajun

SnowCajun

Wow

Believe it or not my complaint to the State Attorney General's Office got results, this company is refunding me every penny they'd taken from me for the last 40 months, a grand total of $596.00 Wow, I thought this was going to be a fight for sure. Obviously going to the Attorney General's Office was a good choice.

Figured I'd update this,
SnowCajun
Still shocked!

jws3

Orbit

SnowCajun,

I was about to suggest you sue them in your local small claims court, but then read that your AG handled it. Now I'm curious about what State you live in that has such an efficient AG's office. If you don't mind sharing, what State do you live in?

jws3
Attorney in Denver, CO

SHORTY LONG

SnowCajun,

I was about to suggest you sue them in your local small claims court, but then read that your AG handled it. Now I'm curious about what State you live in that has such an efficient AG's office. If you don't mind sharing, what State do you live in?

jws3
Attorney in Denver, CO
jws3 you have posted to a post that is old. Normally, if the original
poster has not made a post within 30 days to his or her original post, then,
it is old, and for the most part in our archives.

SnowCajun

SnowCajun,

jws3
Attorney in Denver, CO
It states at the beginning of my post .. I'm in Washington State. Obviously we do have a rather good AG's office here!

Thanks for your response,

SnowCajun

SHORTY LONG

I feel for [a]] of this person's clients if in fact he or she is a real genuine Attorney;
or is [it] [the poster] a troll. :eek:

jws3

Huh?

Shorty Long;

I don't understand your comments. I found this web site yesterday looking for the same type of information on Orbit Telecom, joined the sight and when I wrote the question, didn't see or couldn't see the part of the post about where he/she was from.

Now as to your comments, what difference does it make if I respond to a 3 year old post? I either get an answer or I don't. What possible difference could that make to you? No one forced you to respond.

Second, how on earth can you use this one message to make such a sweeping criticism of my abilities as an attorney and more to the point why would you post a personal attack in response to my innocous post?

SnowCajun

Shorty Long;

I don't understand your comments. I found this web site yesterday looking for the same type of information on Orbit Telecom, joined the sight and when I wrote the question, didn't see or couldn't see the part of the post about where he/she was from.

Now as to your comments, what difference does it make if I respond to a 3 year old post? I either get an answer or I don't. What possible difference could that make to you? No one forced you to respond.

Second, how on earth can you use this one message to make such a sweeping criticism of my abilities as an attorney and more to the point why would you post a personal attack in response to my innocous post?
Good call jws3, unfortunately that happens here a lot. I've had my battles about it also. Sometimes the "know it alls" don't have patience for those of us who don't know everything, at least the amount they think they know anyway! This isn't pointing out Shorty Long per say, just a generalized observation of my experiences here.

If you got Orbit attached to your phone bill I'd suggest you speak to their customer service and demand a full refund, they claimed we had signed up by clicking some link in what they themselves called spam and that was false. I wrote to the Attorney General here in Washington State, also talked to Qwest, our phone company here, and then to Orbit again telling them I'd filed a complaint against them with the Attorney General's Office. I'm not sure if the AG's Office actually got them motivated, or the threat itself was enough, but I got a full and complete refund though they tried to talk me into only half. Don't let them off the hook, if they gave me a complete refund they should do so for anyone else also. Qwest tried to give me a credit, I told them I had never intended on paying for a service I didn't even know about and I insisted on a full refund, which they finally agreed to after having to transfer me around a bit. They sure don't want to cut lose of that money!

I personally feel Qwest was at fault also for masquerading this attachment to appear as if it was one of their added phone features, who knows they may be in cahoots with Orbit. Never the less I got all my money back and that's how I went about it.

Lastly, I don't care either how old a post is, if someone needs help and the post is still visible why would anyone care if someone responds to it or not, talk about busy bodies.. whew!! I search my msg's daily to see if anyone has responded to old posts, and his question was legitimate and on a matter that needs attention because what those people are doing is very underhanded.

SnowCajun

Last edited:

jws3

More on Orbit

I called Orbit the other day and they assured me that they would remove the $14.95 they had added. So far, so good. Since I caught it before I paid the bill, I'm not going to pay it anyway.

This morning I received a snotty email from them confirming that I'd get a refund followed by this:

"We understand that you stated that you did not authorize to sign up for this service and for this reason we have promptly cancelled the service and refunded you in full without hesitation.

Please be advised, however, that before a consumer signs up for our services, all material terms of those services, including all costs, are fully disclosed. The consumer specifically confirms that he or she is at least eighteen (18) years of age and that he or she is, or has authorization from, the telephone line subscriber to bill charges to the telephone number that they have provided. We also require the consumer to provide information including: date of birth, mother's maiden name, a valid email address (where an order confirmation is sent within 24 to 48 hours of sign-up), and we capture the Computer's IP address for security and verification purposes."

I emailed them back and told them I didn't give a damn what they did, the charge wasn't authorized.

I'll see what happens. Thanks for your input.

John

We also require the consumer to provide information including: date of birth, mother's maiden name, a valid email address (where an order confirmation is sent within 24 to 48 hours of sign-up), and we capture the Computer's IP address for security and verification purposes."
Oh but just for fun, I'd ask them to then verify the "supposed info" they have from you. Have them tell YOU your DOB and mother's maiden name! I can almost bet they will counter with "privacy rights".

SnowCajun

Oh but just for fun, I'd ask them to then verify the "supposed info" they have from you. Have them tell YOU your DOB and mother's maiden name! I can almost bet they will counter with "privacy rights".
I know you're asking jws3 this IrishNodak but I have to say this, in my case they had that info, actually it was my roommate/girlfriends info who has lived with me 14 years. She swears she didn't sign up for that anywhere ever, and I know I darned well didn't either. I imagine like email addresses and other info it was probably sold somehow on a list, or given to them by Qwest since I now believe Qwest is in cahoots with them somehow! Never the less the fact is we didn't give it to them, and we'd never even heard of Orbit before.

Qwest had disguised it so well on their phone bill that it appeared to be an additional calling feature, not some third party company as it truly was! It looked more like an options bundle with voice mail and call forwarding. In fact it was so well disguised that I missed it for 40 months, talk about having my head where the sun wasn't shining .... sheesh!

Still I got every penny of it back fortunately, yet they told me the same things you just suggested jws3 ask them, which means they had access to that info somehow. I think they're crooks who are profiting off of people who don't catch on to what they're doing, almost like they nearly got away with it on my account. Those who notice them they don't argue too badly with or make a big scene, they refund the money and continue on with the rest of the folks who don't notice them hidden away in Qwests bill. Personally I think that what's going on with this is nothing short of theft! I can't believe Qwest should be allowed to let some third party company just attach debits to my phone bill without notifying me in some manner. But then that's why I think Qwest is benefiting from this also, otherwise they wouldn't hide it so well in their bill.

SnowCajun

jws3

Information from Orbit

For now, I'm going to let well enough alone and see if I get the credit. The phone line they charged it to is one of six different lines we having coming into our office. It's one of the lines we used to use for modems before Qwest started offering DSL so cheap. However, we recently bought a new computer for this office and hadn't bothered to plug in the modem, so this particular line didn't even have a phone or a modem attached to it!

They did tell me that someone named "Scott Phill" had authorized the charge, but no one by that name has ever worked here.

Hot Topic

"Cramming," as it's called, is a not so new way of scamming the public by signing them up for unwanted services. That this exists underlines the importance of each consumer thoroughly reading his or her statements each month to detect, for example, the unauthorized switch from ABC long distance service to DEF long distance service. With everything that's coming out on the many ways that the public is scammed, people need to accept the responsibility of staying aware and informed.

LJBest

Orbit Refund

Like others, I discovered that AT&T had been billing me $14.95 for Orbit voice messaging for more than 2 years as a line item on the local service bill. I was told that my daughter had ordered the service, and although Orbit had pertinent details about the order, my daugher knew nothing about it, and she already had voice mail as part of her cell telephone service and would not have needed the Orbit service. Long story short, after a couple of calls and emails to Orbit, I received a credit for the complete amount paid. This is now a large credit on my AT&T local service bill. I appreciate not having to go further with that request. Resolution was fast and complete (suprisingly).

On a larger scale, it's not clear to me why AT&T (or any carrier) would agree to re-bill a service that has nothing to do with my local telephone service, particularly when there apprears to be questionable circumstances in the order creation. As online billing is more popular now, many bills are paid on an exception review basis - meaning that if the charges are in line with the previous month's charges, the bill is paid with less scrutiny. That's my fault and a lessons learned.

There should be a national review of these billing practices and the underlying cause for so many customers of Orbit Telecom not knowing why they have the service. AT&T, Quest, and others might be surprised to learn that they are a player in this situation, and that they are likewise under scrutiny for re-billing this service.

LJB

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">