• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone Harassment from out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PKPudlin

My husband's son has been harassing us by phone for many years. We have tried asking him not to call, even changing our phone number. Nothing has worked. We now want to file some sort of order of protection but he is in another state. No one seems to have an answer for us as to how to proceed. Thanks for any help or advice.

Just Blue

My husband's son has been harassing us by phone for many years. We have tried asking him not to call, even changing our phone number. Nothing has worked. We now want to file some sort of order of protection but he is in another state. No one seems to have an answer for us as to how to proceed. Thanks for any help or advice.
What state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How is he harrassing you? Other than just calling. What threats has he made? And yes, what state?

PKPudlin

He is in New York state and we are in North Carolina. He is constantly calling and asking for money. This has been going on for 20+ years.

PKPudlin

We have cell phones and both are tied to our businesses so it's disrupting business too. He calls my husband's number more than mine. He has been blocked but when he finds out he's blocked, he'll borrow another phone. Believe me, we've tried everything we know how to do.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I was going to suggest blocking the number. Sorry I can't be of more help.

PKPudlin

I was going to suggest blocking the number. Sorry I can't be of more help.
I appreciate your willingness to send along suggestions. We are at the point where we want to put something legal in place so there are consequences if he violates them. He has become a stress on our lives and on our marriage. Thank you for responding.

quincy

How old is your husband’s son? For what reason does the son say he needs the money? Twenty+ years is a long time for the phone calls to continue.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Best of luck to you. I had an internet stalker a few years back - long time FA members will remember. I know how stressful it can be. Unfortunately this is not my area of expertise and I don't know what options are available. Hope all goes well.

adjusterjack

He is in his 40s - in and out of jail for drugs, theft, etc.
Would have helped if you had mentioned that at the getgo.

You might be able to take out a restraining order in his county of residence. Go to that court's website and look for forms and instructions.

FarmerJ

Its time to get a whole new number (3rd )that you can begin to use for business use only and over time begin to tell your customers this is your new number ( even if its say a VOIP number that works over the internet only) and then when the time is right to have that number ported over to a cell phone then change the other cell phone number and make sure that anyone who you know that you do speak to who also happens to be someone he talks with knows if they let him have your numbers when you change them again they will no longer be able to call you as well! For some people even a court order wont matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">