• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plant Manager making comments about my weight

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alex

What is the name of your state? Georgia
My dotted line boss, the plant Manager has made several unprofessional and humiliating comments about my weight, such as: Bring your fat as here (said in front of another manager) I will be walking and he would make a pig sounds, or he would say that I am a pretty rounded zero, just to give you some examples. After overcoming my fears of retaliation (Although I work in HR we are humans and we have the same fears as anyone else) I decide to notify Corporate HR (Who happens to be my direct boss). At the same time I have been giving information to my direct boss about other unethical and unprofessional situations in regards to the plant manager. Since then he hasn't say anything anymore. Sad to say that I work in HR and I don't even know how to deal with this, I am very depressed. Since then he has called my direct boss creating problems in regards to me where they don't exist.
I am afraid he is going to create a subtle work environment so I would finally quit. Worst case and my worst fear or that that politics at work will work against me and the company will decide to fire me instead of dealing with an HR person that is trying to do her job like reporting a Plant Manager doing wrong. I am suspicious about this because in another facility a former HR person was fired because she notified Corporate the Plant Manager was stealing money from the pity cash and he built a case against her.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If that happens would you consider it a "whistleblower" or I need more grounds, how can I prove it? Does it worth it or is it better for me to start looking for a job and just quit? Any similar experiences that someone is willing to share???

Last edited:

Alex

What is the name of your state?Georgia
My dotted line boss, the plant Manager has made several unprofessional and humiliating comments about my weight, such as: Bring your fat as here (said in front of another manager) I will be walking and he would make a pig sounds, or he would say that I am a pretty rounded zero, just to give you some examples. After overcoming my fears of retaliation (Although I work in HR we are humans and we have the same fears as anyone else) I decide to notify Corporate HR (Who happens to be my direct boss). At the same time I have been giving information to my direct boss about other unethical and unprofessional situations in regards to the plant manager. Since then he hasn't say anything anymore. Sad to say that I work in HR and I don't even know how to deal with this, I am very depressed. Since then he has called my direct boss creating problems in regards to me where they don't exist.
I am afraid he is going to create a subtle work environment so I would finally quit. Worst case and my worst fear or that that politics at work will work against me and the company will decide to fire me instead of dealing with an HR person that is trying to do her job like reporting a Plant Manager doing wrong. I am suspicious about this because in another facility a former HR person was fired because she notified Corporate the Plant Manager was stealing money from the pity cash and he built a case against her.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If that happens would you consider it a "whistleblower" or I need more grounds, how can I prove it? Does it worth it or is it better for me to start looking for a job and just quit? Any similar experiences that someone is willing to share???

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The only state where weight is a protected characteristic is Michigan (the District of Columbia protects "personal appearance" which could include weight). Your boss is being unprofessional but he is not creating a hostile work environment; he is not illegally discriminating or harassing; he is not, in fact, violating any laws at all. Being rude is not illegal. No, this would not invoke any whistleblower protections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">