• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Play Structure Removed from Family Housing Complex - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am asking on behalf of myself and other tenants occupying a low-income family housing apartment complex that is owned by our county's housing authority.

Today, our swing set and play area were taken down. I recieved no notice, verbal or written, of the removal of the play structure. One tenant asked the Executive Director of the County Housing Authority why the structure was being removed, and she stated there was too much maintenance involved with the play structure.

Now, since this is a family apartment complex, and nearly every apartment is occupied with children, I would not think it unreasonable to ask for a new play set. There is not a park within walking distance that I am aware of. The County Health and Human Services Department was willing to donate a play structure that is low-maintenance to the premises, but I am told that the request for that was denied by the Housing Authority's Executive Director. The basis for the denial, I am unsure of.

When my children and I moved in, there was no mention of the play area being taken down, and I assummed my children would have the opportunity to use it whenever they wanted. In addition, I have a disabled child who enjoys swinging, and we are in the process of purchasing him a modified swing designed for children with Cerebral Palsy. We intended to use this swing on the play equipment, but now cannot.

I am quite upset that the tenants recieved no notice and will not be recieving a replacement, even if the equipment is donated!

Is there any recourse we have?

Last edited:

panzertanker

shechrissy said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am asking on behalf of myself and other tenants occupying a low-income family housing apartment complex that is owned by our county's housing authority.

Today, our swing set and play area were taken down. I recieved no notice, verbal or written, of the removal of the play structure. One tenant asked the Executive Director of the County Housing Authority why the structure was being removed, and she stated there was too much maintenance involved with the play structure.

Now, since this is a family apartment complex, and nearly every apartment is occupied with children, I would not think it unreasonable to ask for a new play set. There is not a park within walking distance that I am aware of. The County Health and Human Services Department was willing to donate a play structure that is low-maintenance to the premises, but I am told that the request for that was denied by the Housing Authority's Executive Director. The basis for the denial, I am unsure of.

When my children and I moved in, there was no mention of the play area being taken down, and I assummed my children would have the opportunity to use it whenever they wanted. In addition, I have a disabled child who enjoys swinging, and we are in the process of purchasing him a modified swing designed for children with Cerebral Palsy. We intended to use this swing on the play equipment, but now cannot.

I am quite upset that the tenants recieved no notice and will not be recieving a replacement, even if the equipment is donated!

Is there any recourse we have?
Part of the expense is maintenance, the other part is from possible injuries. The insurance might have been the difference.

You do not have any recourse unless, as BB says, you have it in your lease...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">