• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pleae Help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vollbree

What is the name of your state? I currently live in Tennessee, the person in question is in Pennsylvania.

I really would like some feedback on this, it would be so very helpful!

A little over a month ago, I decided that I was no longer happy at the college that I had been attending. There were personal reasons that led up to this, and I ultimely decided to transfer. The trouble started when I left. Initally, I was being harassed online from people at the school who were "supposed" friends. They called me a slut, bitch, physco. I laughed it off, and figured, they must have nothing better to do. It continued to get worse... I would polietly ask for them cease and decist of all slandering and libel. I had heard that a rumor had been circulating that I was pregnat and that that was the reason why I left... which I can tell you, is far from the truth! I am not pregnat. I came to find out who exactly it was that started the rumor. Then, I found out that students had broken into the schools registrar office and proceeded to look through my personal and academic folders. Now, parents are not even allowed to acess a students file without the student agreeing beforhand. This, as I've been told is illegal that they went through personal folders. Following that, I was called a slut, in which, I thought nothing of, even though I had noticed people who I had felt so close with wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. I recieved a phone call at 2:30am which woke up my family and I... it was from a bunch of boys that had heard from the person back at school that I was pregnat. This created much distress for both myself and my mother who is disabled, and the last thing she needs is added stress! Two days later I was online reading blogs when I found myself on my exboyfriends, and I found a comment made by the person who was causing my so much trouble... it stated "glad that your not with a physco anymore"... referring to me. This is public to anyone who wants to read it, this has given me a bad reputation and even makes me feel worthless. There have been several other instances, this is just the beginning of what has been done. I have witnessness to the slandering and I have proof of the libel. I don't want to sue for damages, I just want to make an example. People do not realize how serious it is to defame a person like this... This has been going on for quite some time, I think it's about time that this person grows up... It won't stop until something is done.

I've spent hours upon hours researching slander and libel and from what I can tell, I have a litigment case, and can prove that what was said to me is NOT true.
I don't want to be a "cry baby" but this needs to be put to rest as well as the person needs to be put in their spot.

What do you guys think is best?

zippysgoddess

It is highly doubtful that you have much of a case, you would probably get further with harassment complaints, than libel and slander. Though you might be wise to get a free consult with an attorney just in case, and there are other members who might pop in here with more advice.

By the way, the words are PREGNANT and LEGITIMATE. If you are going to school, you will end up with some picky professors, so you need to be careful with stuff like that.

vollbree

Well, I've spoken with an attorney and they said I do have a case. When they stole the school folders they posted for all to see, though that is not a specfic thing relating to the slander and libel they can get expelled from the college. There have been other instances where person, threatening and defamatory remarks were made both online and in person. The college has recommened that I bring it to a lawyer and that I can sue for slander and libel due to other, more extreme things that have happened. I just gave you a brief synopsis, nothing went into detail.

vollbree

To BelizeBreeze:

I understand your entitled to your oppinon, but if you don't have any helpful advice, then just dont say anything at all!
Say it was YOUR daughter who was being continually harassed as well as having untruthful, and even life altering things being said about them... you'd want just as much justice as me.
I've had continuous online comments made about me from this person who have called me names that have created a bad reputation... and according to the defintition of libel it is the tort or delict of making a false statement that negatively affects someone's reputation.
Which is exactly what has been done. Sure, they can say something once or twice, but it's time this person moves on, and the only way it to do something about it... don't tell me to move on, if it was someone dear to you, I think you'd have a bit different oppinion.

dallas702

And these people spent all this time and effort, put their academic futures at risk, committed felonies, risked possible fines, incarceration, or big legal bills.....just to be mean to you?

C'mon...you're leaving something out of this story. Are you sure this isn't a Jr. Hi?

BelizeBreeze

vollbree said:
Well, I've spoken with an attorney and they said I do have a case. When they stole the school folders they posted for all to see, though that is not a specfic thing relating to the slander and libel they can get expelled from the college. There have been other instances where person, threatening and defamatory remarks were made both online and in person. The college has recommened that I bring it to a lawyer and that I can sue for slander and libel due to other, more extreme things that have happened. I just gave you a brief synopsis, nothing went into detail.
And that is your right.

HOWEVER, based on what you posted my answer was correct. We are NOT here ot read your mind or guess at the answer you WANT to hear.

And those little 'facts' you leave out don't matter to the anwer you receive here. That answer is based on what you do NOT leave out.

So now, take about $5,000 TO START and hire your own attorney. The provide proof that you have suffered 'damages' and that those damages were the 'Intent' of the offending party (IF you can identify them) and that the offending party actually DID print liabelous things.

And by the way, fact is not actionable. Even if it's fact gathered illegally. So, unless the 'FACTS' in those supposedly stolen documents are false and the publishers KNEW that and proceeded to publish anyway, you STILL do not have a case.

vollbree

" And these people spent all this time and effort, put their academic futures at risk, committed felonies, risked possible fines, incarceration, or big legal bills.....just to be mean to you?

C'mon...you're leaving something out of this story. Are you sure this isn't a Jr. Hi? "

I don't think they honestly realized what they were doing could get them in trouble! They could care less... I can tell you, they were my best friends, I would've never done them wrong... when I decided to transfer schools, and when I left, is when they started with their nastiness. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason...
It does sound like Jr High but I can assure you it's college. Lame, I know.

vollbree said:
What is the name of your state? I currently live in Tennessee, the person in question is in Pennsylvania.

I really would like some feedback on this, it would be so very helpful!

A little over a month ago, I decided that I was no longer happy at the college that I had been attending. There were personal reasons that led up to this, and I ultimely decided to transfer. The trouble started when I left. Initally, I was being harassed online from people at the school who were "supposed" friends. They called me a slut, bitch, physco. I laughed it off, and figured, they must have nothing better to do. It continued to get worse... I would polietly ask for them cease and decist of all slandering and libel. I had heard that a rumor had been circulating that I was pregnat and that that was the reason why I left... which I can tell you, is far from the truth! I am not pregnat. I came to find out who exactly it was that started the rumor. Then, I found out that students had broken into the schools registrar office and proceeded to look through my personal and academic folders. Now, parents are not even allowed to acess a students file without the student agreeing beforhand. This, as I've been told is illegal that they went through personal folders. Following that, I was called a slut, in which, I thought nothing of, even though I had noticed people who I had felt so close with wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. I recieved a phone call at 2:30am which woke up my family and I... it was from a bunch of boys that had heard from the person back at school that I was pregnat. This created much distress for both myself and my mother who is disabled, and the last thing she needs is added stress! Two days later I was online reading blogs when I found myself on my exboyfriends, and I found a comment made by the person who was causing my so much trouble... it stated "glad that your not with a physco anymore"... referring to me. This is public to anyone who wants to read it, this has given me a bad reputation and even makes me feel worthless. There have been several other instances, this is just the beginning of what has been done. I have witnessness to the slandering and I have proof of the libel. I don't want to sue for damages, I just want to make an example. People do not realize how serious it is to defame a person like this... This has been going on for quite some time, I think it's about time that this person grows up... It won't stop until something is done.

I've spent hours upon hours researching slander and libel and from what I can tell, I have a litigment case, and can prove that what was said to me is NOT true.
I don't want to be a "cry baby" but this needs to be put to rest as well as the person needs to be put in their spot.

What do you guys think is best?
The only cause of action you have is against the college. You are clearly entitled to a refund of your English 101 tuition.

rmet4nzkx

I gave you the benefit of the doubt when I advised you based on your first post. Several days later we learn more information and that you claimed to have been to law school. From the advice you have been giving other posters and it is clear why you had to leave law school. I concur with BB you don't have a case or a future in law. The school did not find reason to take action against the students and referred you to an attorney so you have few options. Please consider the cost of such litigation and your chances of success. It is unlikely an attorney will take your case on contingency which should be a clue to it's merit.

vollbree

You really have no idea now do you.
I'm in another law school now and you can make fun of the improper english but this is an online fourm, I could give two hoots if I spell a word wrong or miss a coma! This isn't an english paper and I have better things to do than try to make it grammar perfect.
Get over yourself, and grow the hell up, it's people like you that make this country such a damn shame.

BelizeBreeze

vollbree said:
You really have no idea now do you.
I'm in another law school now and you can make fun of the improper english but this is an online fourm, I could give two hoots if I spell a word wrong or miss a coma! This isn't an english paper and I have better things to do than try to make it grammar perfect.
Get over yourself, and grow the hell up, it's people like you that make this country such a damn shame.
Then what are you still doing here. Why are you not at your attorney's office filing suit against the university and the students and then posting here the docket number so we can verify that you're not a pile of crap.

vollbree

BelizeBreeze said:
Then what are you still doing here. Why are you not at your attorney's office filing suit against the university and the students and then posting here the docket number so we can verify that you're not a pile of crap.
I have discussed with my attorney AND college several options. I have the option of suing and paying enormous bills if I want to recover any suffering or punitive damages. As well, they invaded my privacy, which is currently being investigated by the Dallas Police and School officials. I also have the option of allowing the school to take action which could result in suspension, expelltion, fines, etc.
I am waiting for the school and police to finish a thorough investigation and then and only then will I decide if I'd like to file charges myself or let the school take care of it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">