• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE ADVISE: Out-of-Court Agreements on CS???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

washington.help

What is the name of your state? Washington

An ex-girlfriend has notified me that she is pregnant and wishes to keep the child. Upon discussion of particulars, she has agreed to not obligate me to financially support the child. I am keen on legally [in writing? in contract? by court order?] establishing such an agreement, for I do not want to be held accountable for back child support years from now. What should I do?

I am a [poor] student and shudder at the expense of an attorney... Can I use existing legal forms to create a binding contract that will absolve me from responsibility? (The mother would sign such a thing)...

Should I get an attorney? Does this need to go through a court?

Thanks to all who take the time.What is the name of your state?

Zephyr

washington.help said:

An ex-girlfriend has notified me that she is pregnant and wishes to keep the child. Upon discussion of particulars, she has agreed to not obligate me to financially support the child. I am keen on legally [in writing? in contract? by court order?] establishing such an agreement, for I do not want to be held accountable for back child support years from now. What should I do?

I am a [poor] student and shudder at the expense of an attorney... Can I use existing legal forms to create a binding contract that will absolve me from responsibility? (The mother would sign such a thing)...

ADOPTION PAPERS

As long as mom has the child she has the right to file for paternity and or child support- dioes that mean she will? no- but she always can

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
washington.help said:

The only thing that would absolve you of paying child support is a termination of your parental rights once the child is born but that requires someone being willing to adopt your child when you terminate your rights. you can do out of court agreements for child support (that is definitely best handled by an attorney) HOWEVER you cannot have your obligation absolved completely. In other words you cannot agree to NEVER pay child support for any reason. This is not a legal opinion but rather fact:
If you are just a poor student to handle your responsibilities, keep your pants zipped or get a vasectomy. None of us want to pay for your child.

nextwife

And if she collects aid from the state, THEY can come to you years later and collect it all back. Then you will be paying for a child you never even knew - better to file for shared custody right up front and not have JUST the financial responsibility but also the benefit of BEING a parent and spending time with your child.

The ONLY way you are guarantied she won't come back for CS is if BOTH you and she have a third party adopt the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">