• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

john39

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?OH

I made brand new Latin quotation!!! :D

subinfero ut est cassus est facillimus

(to add when is empty is easiest)

I thought it goes well in conjunction wit this established Latin phrase

facile est inventis addere

(it is easy to add to things already invented)

Can I have copyrights on it ?

Last edited:

Basically, copyrights refer to fixed forms of expression (e.g. books, music, art, etc.) that have some artistic value. And to for a copyright to be protective you would have to pursue any violators vigorously. For a phrase, copyrights would make little sense.

To be trademarked (or service mark) it would not necessarily be needed to be tied to a product but would have to be commercial in nature.

What exactly are you trying to use the phrase for?

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

I have some slight clarifications on what you wrote, randolph (and I am not sure the links you provided give the best information).

A work, to be copyrightable, must be original and must be fixed in a tangible form, as you noted. However, a copyrighted work does not need to have "artistic" value - unless you equate the word artistic with source codes, my post here, and "Jersey Shore." :)

A work needs a modicum of creativity, which in copyright law refers to the way an idea or a fact is expressed. This creativity is often expressed in an artistic way (in paintings and music, for example), but it can also be expressed in inventive or intellectual ways (which, like many copyrighted text books prove, may not be aesthetically pleasing at all).

Trademarks are used to identify products or services. Trademark and service mark rights come from the continued use of the marks in commerce. Both trademark owners and copyright owners are responsible for enforcing their own trademark rights or copyrights.

And, john, I could see the two Latin quotes being used on tee-shirts (not profitably, perhaps. . . .but I could see them being used that way ;)).

Last edited:

john39

I have some slight clarifications on what you wrote, randolph (and I am not sure the links you provided give the best information).

A work, to be copyrightable, must be original and must be fixed in a tangible form, as you noted. However, a copyrighted work does not need to have "artistic" value - unless you equate the word artistic with source codes, my post here, and "Jersey Shore." :)

A work needs a modicum of creativity, which in copyright law refers to the way an idea or a fact is expressed. This creativity is often expressed in an artistic way (in paintings and music, for example), but it can also be expressed in inventive or intellectual ways (which, like many copyrighted text books prove, may not be aesthetically pleasing at all).

Trademarks are used to identify products or services. Trademark and service mark rights come from the continued use of the marks in commerce. Both trademark owners and copyright owners are responsible for enforcing their own trademark rights or copyrights.

And, john, I could see the two Latin quotes being used on tee-shirts (not profitably, perhaps. . . .but I could see them being used that way ;)).
thanks...:D

no ,not profitably you are right.

The second quotation means humility :) .Inspiration was criminal law forum,when poster with pending possible charges,but not charged yet wanted everyone to pay attention...to the ...injustice.... he suffered...:rolleyes:

Therefore,I thought,sometimes,lowering your head,saves it.

The third,inspiration is you.I see you as a soft spoken,but your words are ending all debates.Therefore,the quotation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">