• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Explain 'Declaratory Judgment"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri My ex-husband and his parents have filed a declaratory judgment against the State of Missouri Board of Parole and DOC because they were not permitted to speak at his parole hearing as victims-he stole over$8,000 from them using DOC stationery. They did not follow procedures for permission to do so, and were not named on his victims' list. He is furious that his answer was 2 years over mandatory minimum, and wants it reversed. I keep checking on case.net. I am on his VINE victim notification list-what happens with declaratory judgments? What are the Vegas odds he will indeed be released although his sentence demanded long term institutional drug treatment? I do not understand. My daughter and I have bought a home in another state and are moving Wednesday, I have contacted the DOC as now I am getting threatening letters from the-expletive deleted. Please advise. Thank you...

JETX

declaratory judgment
n. a judgment of a court which determines the rights of parties without ordering anything be done or awarding damages. While this borders on the prohibited "advisory opinion," it is allowed to nip controversies in the bud. Examples: a party to a contract may seek the legal interpretation of a contract to determine the parties' rights, or a corporation may ask a court to decide whether a new tax is truly applicable to that business before it pays it.

I understand the definition... I am still wondering if his request to have the parole answer set aside and his sentence reduced can happen as a result of this judgment, or if the attorney is just laughing all the way to the bank? If so, more power to him. He sees himself as the victim of the DOC and the courts, and has more appeals pending. He scares hell out of me. Please advise. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">