• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

**** PLEASE HELP *** CA RESIDENT with NV rental property, LLC NEEDED IMMEDIATELY***

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

speedway121

What is the name of your state? California
Hello,
I am a landlord living in CA with a rental property in NV. I need to setup an LLC or FLP immediately due to the possibility of a lawsuit coming from my previous tenant.

I dont know if I should form a FLP or LLC or what the differences are?
Do I form the LLC or FLP in Nevada or in California? Which is better?
Can I form a NV LLC or FLP while I live in CA?
Which state is more advantageous law wise to setup an LLC or FLP?

For full protection, I was told to setup a LLC for the rental property and then a FLP to incorporate the LLC + my bank account.
PLease help as this is urgent! I need to setup the LLC or FLP tomorrow!!

racer72

Before you do anything, you need to consider something. If the action the former tenant is suing for took place before you set up your LLC or FLP, doing this is not going to protect you. In fact, the actions could be considered a form of fraud. I would suggest talking to a real estate attorney, that is what you need to do tomorrow.

speedway121

LLC or FLP

Hi Racer,
I do not know if the tenant will sue.
Regardless I want to setup the LLC or FLP?
Which one is better for my situation?

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? California
Hello,
I am a landlord living in CA with a rental property in NV. I need to setup an LLC or FLP immediately due to the possibility of a lawsuit coming from my previous tenant.

I dont know if I should form a FLP or LLC or what the differences are?
Do I form the LLC or FLP in Nevada or in California? Which is better?
Can I form a NV LLC or FLP while I live in CA?
Which state is more advantageous law wise to setup an LLC or FLP?

For full protection, I was told to setup a LLC for the rental property and then a FLP to incorporate the LLC + my bank account.
PLease help as this is urgent! I need to setup the LLC or FLP tomorrow!!

**A: what type of lawsuit?

Doesn't matter HomeGuru. You know that even if he convey's the property to his new and cool LLC he'll be in breach of the d/t / mortgage, thereby opening himself up for more, and probably more costly, litigation.

HomeGuru

Doesn't matter HomeGuru. You know that even if he convey's the property to his new and cool LLC he'll be in breach of the d/t / mortgage, thereby opening himself up for more, and probably more costly, litigation.
**A: it is good to get the exact facts first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">