• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stressed in KY

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am a divorced father and have three wonderful kids. We have custody right down the middle, 50/50. I have recently lost my job, making $52,000.00. I was paying my ex wife $240.00 a week. I called her up and explained to her that I couldn’t pay her that amount anymore and still provide a house for myself. After all the bitching and name calling she said she would settle for $190.00 a week. It is still putting me behind paying that much but she will not settle for anything less.

I have never missed a payment(over two years now) roughly paid out $25,000.00 in child support. I have never been late with one. I have made all the financial cuts that I can think of(cable, entertainment even home phone). The last thing that I want to do is have to move back in with my parents and have the kids stay there every other day. To me that is demoralizing and needless to say very unfair that she doesn’t have to make sacrifices.

I guess my question is: what is the cheapest and fastest way that I can LEGALY get my child support lowered to fit in my budget?

P.S. I do realize that these children are mine and my ex-wife’s responsibility and I am not trying to not take responsibility but right know everything seems so unfair in my eyes.

S

shell007

stressed in KY said:
What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am a divorced father and have three wonderful kids. We have custody right down the middle, 50/50. I have recently lost my job, making $52,000.00. I was paying my ex wife $240.00 a week. I called her up and explained to her that I couldn’t pay her that amount anymore and still provide a house for myself. After all the bitching and name calling she said she would settle for $190.00 a week. It is still putting me behind paying that much but she will not settle for anything less.

I have never missed a payment(over two years now) roughly paid out $25,000.00 in child support. I have never been late with one. I have made all the financial cuts that I can think of(cable, entertainment even home phone). The last thing that I want to do is have to move back in with my parents and have the kids stay there every other day. To me that is demoralizing and needless to say very unfair that she doesn’t have to make sacrifices.

I guess my question is: what is the cheapest and fastest way that I can LEGALY get my child support lowered to fit in my budget?

P.S. I do realize that these children are mine and my ex-wife’s responsibility and I am not trying to not take responsibility but right know everything seems so unfair in my eyes.
Are you looking for a new job?

Silverplum

http://ocse.acf.hhs.gov/ext/irg/sps/report.cfm?State=KY

K3. Briefly describe your State's modification procedure.
Verify income of both parties, apply guidelines, add medical support order and advise parties of result.

K4. What are your criteria for modification (e.g., $50 or 20% from present order)? Obligaton amount must increase or decrease by 15%.

K5. Which of the following criteria for demonstrating a change in circumstances apply, if any?
K5.1. The earnings of the obligor have substantially increased or decreased.
Yes
K5.2. The earnings of the obligee have substantially increased or decreased.
Yes

Pretty sure your decrease will have to be INVOLUNTARY.

stressed in KY

Yes I am. Right now i am collecting unemployment but have sent out countless resumes and have been on three interviews, needless to say that have all come up short. The line of work that I was in is really slow( that is why I was laid off)

I am even trying outside my field of work but as you could of guessed my income would not even come close to the amount that I was making.

fairisfair

the ONLY way that you can get your child support lowered is to file for a modification.

there is no fast, easy or cheap way. Of course filing on your own will save you costs, but still does not fill the need on fast or easy!

MrsK

If you were laid off, losing your job was involuntary. So, you hopefully will be awarded a decrease in support, it could even be less than your ex wife is willing to "settle" for. The courts will determine the amount.

You need to file for a modification ASAP with the courts, or you could start adding up arrearages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">