• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please, help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

filiain

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm adopted. At the age of 20, with fear of a medical condition, I want to know about my biological medical history. I'm unsure of what to do. Indiana adoption law confuses me greatly. Please, can someone give me an idea on where to start.

Thanks.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm adopted. At the age of 20, with fear of a medical condition, I want to know about my biological medical history. I'm unsure of what to do. Indiana adoption law confuses me greatly. Please, can someone give me an idea on where to start.

Thanks.
You'll need to first find out if your adoption was open or closed. If it was closed, there is nothing that you can do. Even if it was open, your bio parents are not required to share their medical condition with you.

So, open or closed?

filiain

I have no clue. How do I find out? I wouldn't even be looking if it weren't for a birth condition that I really want to know if its genetic.

nextwife

Even if you FIND out, find they are both alive, and actually find both of them, it is very possible you still won't know the answer.

Example: my friend's parents lost all their family in the Holocaust and they have no genetic history into. My husband's dad died before he was born, and his dad's entire family is still in eastern europe, and he has no idea where any are. He'd have no idea if any condition were genetic in his family.

My daughter, BTW, was adopted from an orphanage. She will also never have access to her medical history, other than by any genetic testing.

Last edited:

filiain

Well, thanks for the advice. I just wanted to know if my kids could get what I have. Time to hit the grindstone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">