• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pneumonia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sometwo

I thought (and I could be wrong) pneumonia was a secondary condition and was not contagious. Could be wrong though. I don't have time to look it up either.

gr8rn

It's the organisms (viral or bacterial) that are contagious. Because the organisms grow in and inflame the lungs, the host contracts pneumonia. But every organism viral or bacterial has a potential to cause pneumonia in another host (the person you sit next to or across from). Should you cough and a droplet gets into their respiratory system, they have the potential to develop pneumonia.

mistoffolees

It's the organisms (viral or bacterial) that are contagious. Because the organisms grow in and inflame the lungs, the host contracts pneumonia. But every organism viral or bacterial has a potential to cause pneumonia in another host (the person you sit next to or across from). Should you cough and a droplet gets into their respiratory system, they have the potential to develop pneumonia.
Yes, but bacterial pneumonia is less contagious than viral. I believe that's because the bacteria do not leave the host's lungs as easily as the viruses do. Thus, a droplet contains more pathogens if it's viral pneumonia than if it's bacterial.

MichaCA

A couple of ideas;

Summerdawn, Will your doctor call the mediators office/or fax them something say you have pneumonia along with a request on your end that it be postponed/continued?

If not, you will have to rely on the goodwill of the mediator. Tell him/her that you attempted to postpone, you are not thinking well, your contagious, and your very concerned as you know how much these mediation appointments mean to the legal process. When you write out your issues on the issue sheet in the waiting room you could make a statement on that and highlight it so that mediator knows up front your not well.

You'll still be sick, however perhaps the mediator will work with you more or suggest another mediation date. Some of them are nice.

summerdawn

A couple of ideas;

Summerdawn, Will your doctor call the mediators office/or fax them something say you have pneumonia along with a request on your end that it be postponed/continued?

If not, you will have to rely on the goodwill of the mediator. Tell him/her that you attempted to postpone, you are not thinking well, your contagious, and your very concerned as you know how much these mediation appointments mean to the legal process. When you write out your issues on the issue sheet in the waiting room you could make a statement on that and highlight it so that mediator knows up front your not well.

You'll still be sick, however perhaps the mediator will work with you more or suggest another mediation date. Some of them are nice.
I can try to ask the urgent care doc for a note. I don't have insurance right now and I was really sick after hours so it was an urgent care doc that diagnosed it rather than my doc-I really don't have the $ to go back in fora note, as I paid cash for the appointment and the resulting meds: antibiotics, cough syrup and 2 inhalers. :(

I called the court and apparently I am not able to speak with the mediator personally, they said that is ex parte communication. Dad's lawyer's secretary called me yesterday and said "We regret to inform you that we can't reschedule mediation. Because of the pressing matters in the filing, it is important that we see a mediator as soon as possible." They are trying to make it sound like it's an emergency matter that they get to court. [makes me a little irritated]

I have been taking my meds and drinking some stuff called Emergen C and I feel much better, I got out of bed for the whole day yesterday and today-this is the first time in two weeks that I have been out of bed for two days in a row. I do still have my cough and a rumble in my chest, but it's not quote as bad as it was and it is higher up now like it's working its way out (sorry for TMI). I'm going to try to work on some notes for mediation tomorrow while the kids are in school. My main problem right now is that when I get nervous, I have coughing bronchial asthma attacks, and right now they are seriously killer because of the fluid in my lungs. I get nervous in court, and if I go off on a coughing attack they are going to think I am dying lol.

I will suggest to the mediator that rescheduling may be a good idea, but just in case, I am going to try to get my thoughts out on paper so i'm not so scattered. I actually wonder, the way father's legal parties are making it sounds like my house is so bad, if we reschedule, would they try an ex parte motion or something? I don't know.

Would you believe the lady in the mediator's office told me just to not show up? :eek: I was shocked. She said "If you have a history of making all of your court appointments and not missing, just don't show for mediation-when the court date comes, ask that it be continued and mediation rescheduled, and tell the judge that you were sick with pneumonia-she will probably just laugh it off. If dad shows up alone we can't see him and it will just be a waste of time on his part for not rescheduling." I seriously almost fell over that the lady told me that. :confused:

I can try to ask the urgent care doc for a note. I don't have insurance right now and I was really sick after hours so it was an urgent care doc that diagnosed it rather than my doc-I really don't have the $ to go back in fora note, as I paid cash for the appointment and the resulting meds: antibiotics, cough syrup and 2 inhalers. :(

I called the court and apparently I am not able to speak with the mediator personally, they said that is ex parte communication. Dad's lawyer's secretary called me yesterday and said "We regret to inform you that we can't reschedule mediation. Because of the pressing matters in the filing, it is important that we see a mediator as soon as possible." They are trying to make it sound like it's an emergency matter that they get to court. [makes me a little irritated]

I have been taking my meds and drinking some stuff called Emergen C and I feel much better, I got out of bed for the whole day yesterday and today-this is the first time in two weeks that I have been out of bed for two days in a row. I do still have my cough and a rumble in my chest, but it's not quote as bad as it was and it is higher up now like it's working its way out (sorry for TMI). I'm going to try to work on some notes for mediation tomorrow while the kids are in school. My main problem right now is that when I get nervous, I have coughing bronchial asthma attacks, and right now they are seriously killer because of the fluid in my lungs. I get nervous in court, and if I go off on a coughing attack they are going to think I am dying lol.

I will suggest to the mediator that rescheduling may be a good idea, but just in case, I am going to try to get my thoughts out on paper so i'm not so scattered. I actually wonder, the way father's legal parties are making it sounds like my house is so bad, if we reschedule, would they try an ex parte motion or something? I don't know.

Would you believe the lady in the mediator's office told me just to not show up? :eek: I was shocked. She said "If you have a history of making all of your court appointments and not missing, just don't show for mediation-when the court date comes, ask that it be continued and mediation rescheduled, and tell the judge that you were sick with pneumonia-she will probably just laugh it off. If dad shows up alone we can't see him and it will just be a waste of time on his part for not rescheduling." I seriously almost fell over that the lady told me that. :confused:
Actually, my lawyer had me skip an appointment because our case ended up being Stayed. The mediator wouldn't see my ex without me there...so, she was right in that sense. In your case, I don't know how the judge would react.

CourtClerk

I can't believe we're still having a conversation about the flu... or pneumonia... or a runny nose or whatever.

These are your kids. Get your hiney out of bed and go handle your business, preferably without the whiny whoa is me, I'm so sick I can't handle life attitude. The boat still floats whether you're sick or not... so go drive the darn boat. Just stop acting like a baby already.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can't help but wonder... if you've been so sick (and contagious) - who's been caring for the kids?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I can't believe we're still having a conversation about the flu... or pneumonia... or a runny nose or whatever.

These are your kids. Get your hiney out of bed and go handle your business, preferably without the whiny whoa is me, I'm so sick I can't handle life attitude. The boat still floats whether you're sick or not... so go drive the darn boat. Just stop acting like a baby already.
Could always wear a medical mask... then you're not risking anyone around you, and can attend the mediation without fear of infecting anyone. Unless the point is to postpone? Meh, whatever.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Personally, I would show up with the surgical mask, note from doctor and look like death warmed over. Don't know if the MEDIATOR would want to be in the same room as you too. For good measure, I would let the mediator know that dad's lawyer didn't want to reschedule to when both parties were healthy.

Knowalot

Just Go!!

When you get to the mediator, quickly explain that you are sick, might be contageous, that dad/attorney wouldn't agree to a continuance and see what the mediator has to suggest. Maybe the mediator will insist on a continuance. If not, get it over. If you truly feel so sick that you are going to collapse, have them call 911 and let them take you to ER. But don't NOT show up unless you have something in writing from the Court.

summerdawn

Exactly......:rolleyes:
I said in my last post that I am feeling better energy wise recently, but I still have a pretty nasty cough. I have been trying to rest as much as possible, and I do have a husband and a 16 and 15 yr old at home. They cared for the kids for me for almost two weeks. I'm really glad that they were so helpful, as for the first week I was literally in bed almost constantly. My husband had to take some time off of work to take care of me.

I'm hoping to avoid an asthma attack on Monday because it's embarrassing to cough like I have a disease or something. :eek: I should be done with my antibiotics the day before the mediation hearing. I'll make sure to take my inhaler and ask them to excuse me for a moment if I have a bad coughing spell. I'm trying to prepare for it as much as possible so that I hit all the right points that I need to and don't get sidetracked. I feel like I should have been prepared a while ago and I lost a lot of time in being sick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">