• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police words against mine in criminal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grishid

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law) California

When an officer asks me for my ID like "do you have an ID on you?" and I reply "Why do you need my ID officer?" later when i go to court for falsifying identification or lying to a cop since the cop is lying and stating on the report that I have said I did not have a ID when i actually did. Will officers word count in court and not mine or the officer has to proof that fact?

CdwJava

When an officer asks me for my ID like "do you have an ID on you?" and I reply "Why do you need my ID officer?" later when i go to court for falsifying identification or lying to a cop since the cop is lying and stating on the report that I have said I did not have a ID when i actually did. Will officers word count in court and not mine or the officer has to proof that fact?
What have you been charged with? (code section, please)

racer72

Let me run this through the Free Advice Translator as it appears in this post and his other that the OP is skewing everything in his direction instead of providing a truthful information so other can help.

Free Advice Translator said:
When an officer asks me for ID and I refuse to comply with his question and provide false information and/or became argumentive, can I be arrested for California Penal Code 148, Resisting, Delaying or Obstructing an officer?

grishid

What have you been charged with? (code section, please)
148 pc but what does code section have to do with my question... I wanna know if the cop word is higher than a citizen in criminal cases since the officer can say whatever he wants to say and charge or accuse an innocent citizen ..

CdwJava

148 pc but what does code section have to do with my question... I wanna know if the cop word is higher than a citizen in criminal cases since the officer can say whatever he wants to say and charge or accuse an innocent citizen ..
In most instances the officer's word will be given more weight, yes. The theory being that the officer has less of an incentive to lie than the defendant.

CdwJava

As a caveat, it is NOT a violation of PC 148 to fail to provide identification if you are only detained. Upon arrest (custodial or via or citation) you would be required to do so, but not a detention.

tranquility

And then, only in booking. (Or, at the scene if it was an offense the officer would issue a citation for and you didn't want to be taken into custody.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">