• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possession and Paraphernalia in Arkansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wakesk888

I live in Colorado and was recently arrested in Crawford County, Arkansas. The charges are possession of less than 4 oz (misdemeanor) and possession of paraphernalia (misdemeanor). The "reason" the officer pulled me over was because "I was following the semi in front of me to closely". I personally think that's BS and started pursuing me because I has Colorado License Plates. The officer was on the side of the road just sitting on the shoulder and after I passed him he pulled out and starting following me. He followed for a few miles then acted as to pass me, he then slowed down and got behind me again. Other traffic passed me and the officer and as I went to make a lane change to pass the semi infront of me the lights came on. Once the officer made the stop he separated me and the one other passenger. I was placed in the front seat of the police car where I was interrogated for what seemed to be 15 minutes. He keep asking me for anything illegal and I kept denying. He even asked to search the car and I said yes, I don't care its not my car, I was just the driver. After a while of him interrogating the other passenger he searched the car and eventually found the small amount of marijuana and paraphernalia. I have court coming up and was wondering can I appear over phone? I have a DUI from 6 years ago on my record but no drug charges. I feel that they have me on camera saying its ok to search my car, does this mean that I should just plead guility? Any opinions?

FlyingRon

Never plead guilty without counsel as to the implications of doing so.

No you can not "appear over the phone."

You need a lawyer.

wakesk888

Can I get a public defender?

Sounds like I do need to get a lawyer. I think I might qualify for a Public Defender. Where do I start with on talking to a Public Defender? Or is a lawyer worth the extra $?

Thank You, anything helps.

Ladyback1

. Where do I start with on talking to a Public Defender? Or is a lawyer worth the extra $?

Thank You, anything helps.
ummmmm....Public Defenders ARE attorneys. (I promise--they went to the same schools, took the same tests, etc. as every other attorney).

All of that aside: you will need to contact the state/county/city where the ticket was issued and find out what the requirement is for qualifying for assistance. There should be something on the State of Arkansas' website detailing how their public defender system is operated, what you have to do to obtain assistance, who to call, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">