• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possession of marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

honeybee

i was stopped in florida for running a red light on a railroad track. the two police asked me if i had anything on me that i shouldn't have. they stated that if i lied, and they found anything, that they'd arrest me and put me in jail as they stated that they were going to "pat" me down. i admitted to having less than 4 grams of marijuana on me. they let me go with a court date. i am to appear on tuesday morning at 8:00. should i get myself a lawyer? should i plead guilty? is it possible that i could serve any time in prison for this? PLEASE HURRY ADVICE. thank you

H

honeybee

You asked what i was charged with. I was charged with possession of marijuana and running a red light on a railroad track. So, to re-state my question: what is the most that i could get out of this? should i get a lawyer before i appear in court on tuesday morning at 8:00? and will i now have a police record for this? also, do you think my insurance will go up? thank you for any information you can give me.

B

BROKEN67

possession

Was this your first offense? any prior criminal history? From what I understand If it is your first offense you will walk out of the courtroom paying the equivelant of a traffic ticket for the possession charge. Unless there were more charges such as trafficking or intent to distribute.In either case it will go on your criminal record. Be advised I'm not a lawyer so really am not in a position to give legal advice. However, I have a family member that has been in your predicament on several occasions. In each of his cases the punishment became a little greater with each offense. He is, as of yet, to do anything more than 30 days in jail. But did not serve time on the first offense. I do suggest that you see a lawyer,especially If there are more factors involved. This may be some unwanted advice, but If you plan on continuing to use marijuana , You should probably consider keeping it at home. Nearly every possession charge I've read about started with a routine traffic stop, over a minor violation. Now that you will have a record,you should expect to be searched any time you get pulled over. I apologize in advance if this was no help to you. You will get through this, this happens to people all of the time. Hang in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">