• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible blackmail issue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleksandor52

What is the name of your state?CA
Married 26 years, no children, wife filed for divorce in January. Her attorney had an investigation done on me early in the case, despite there being no spousal abuse or criminal accusations. I just found out this included accessing my personal email. Now my wife and her roommate, who is not a relative and except for loaning my wife money for legal fees is not officially involved in the divorce, are talking about using some of the emails to "prove" I am having several email affairs. My wife has had several affairs of her own, both cyber and real, so admittedly neither of us is innocent. However, they are threatening to send them to a woman I have become involved with after the divorce was filed. Ignoring the sordid details, this sounds an awful lot like blackmail. There is also a confidentiality issue of these documents being given to the roommate. Finally, does anyone know what the grounds are for an investigation of this type? My attorney seems to be in the dark about it as much as I am.

jhb54

Investigation

aleksandor52 said:
Married 26 years, no children, wife filed for divorce in January. Her attorney had an investigation done on me early in the case, despite there being no spousal abuse or criminal accusations. I just found out this included accessing my personal email. Now my wife and her roommate, who is not a relative and except for loaning my wife money for legal fees is not officially involved in the divorce, are talking about using some of the emails to "prove" I am having several email affairs. My wife has had several affairs of her own, both cyber and real, so admittedly neither of us is innocent. However, they are threatening to send them to a woman I have become involved with after the divorce was filed. Ignoring the sordid details, this sounds an awful lot like blackmail. There is also a confidentiality issue of these documents being given to the roommate. Finally, does anyone know what the grounds are for an investigation of this type? My attorney seems to be in the dark about it as much as I am.
I have went thru a divorce myself back in 01 and my wife cheated on me until i found out about it an so i just let her go on with it and i done the same thing and i met this one woman and she got mad cause i stayed with this woman one night while we were waiting on the date for court and she had the law come to where i was at and no one heard the door and the next morning my car was gone and after this woman took me to my wifes home i found the car and the law told her that since she has cheathed on me and she could bring it up in court and ii talked to the law myself that same day and he said since both of you cheated then he would just laugh if you can prove everything but when i told her that after going to see my kids and she called the officer and he told her what he told me, you both don't have a leg to stand on and it would be best to drop the divorce or just don't bring up charges against him if you done the same thing so we made it and the divorce went find but if your's brings this up then have what ever you have against her and tell it and ask the people she went with to see if they will tell the judge that he went with her and have it as to where no one will know there wifes if they were married and things will work out find.

panzertanker

jhb54 said:
I have went thru a divorce myself back in 01 and my wife cheated on me until i found out about it an so i just let her go on with it and i done the same thing and i met this one woman and she got mad cause i stayed with this woman one night while we were waiting on the date for court and she had the law come to where i was at and no one heard the door and the next morning my car was gone and after this woman took me to my wifes home i found the car and the law told her that since she has cheathed on me and she could bring it up in court and ii talked to the law myself that same day and he said since both of you cheated then he would just laugh if you can prove everything but when i told her that after going to see my kids and she called the officer and he told her what he told me, you both don't have a leg to stand on and it would be best to drop the divorce or just don't bring up charges against him if you done the same thing so we made it and the divorce went find but if your's brings this up then have what ever you have against her and tell it and ask the people she went with to see if they will tell the judge that he went with her and have it as to where no one will know there wifes if they were married and things will work out find.
Did you skip a dose of your Lithium...?

LdiJ

aleksandor52 said:
The general purpose of an investigation would be to ensure that you were not improperly spending,disposing of or hiding community property. For example....if you were having affairs and spending tons of money on women....that would be improperly spending community property....and could be legitimately deducted from your share.

Threatening to send copies of your emails to a woman you are seeing is mean...but it isn't blackmail.

Threatening to send copies of your emails to a woman that you are seeing, if you don't agree to give your wife more than her fair share of the assets (for example) could be blackmail. In other words, they have to be threatening to do this only if they are also trying to make you do something that normally you would not have to do. They have to be "extorting" something from you for it to be blackmail.

Otherwise, its just being mean.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Whew. Try to use some normal punctuation next time, then. I swear that was the longest sentence I've read in a long time.

jhb54

panzertanker said:
No kidding!!!
My eyes were hurting for an hour!
Maybe they were. I put things as i see it and i put things down to help even if i leave out something and i have seen a longer sentence that the one i wrote a lot, but at lease i put words down to help people in there time of need. I know theses post like this one, get's a lot of bad marks from people that writes to people that's trying to help a person that needs a point of view so if you have any answers to this person then help him.

LdiJ

jhb54 said:
Maybe they were. I put things as i see it and i put things down to help even if i leave out something and i have seen a longer sentence that the one i wrote a lot, but at lease i put words down to help people in there time of need. I know theses post like this one, get's a lot of bad marks from people that writes to people that's trying to help a person that needs a point of view so if you have any answers to this person then help him.
I did....but your posts really are difficult to read. Normal capitalization and puncuation could help a lot. All that means is slowing down as you put your thoughts together.

jhb54

LdiJ said:
I did....but your posts really are difficult to read. Normal capitalization and puncuation could help a lot. All that means is slowing down as you put your thoughts together.
I just don't have time to put things right cause i have to get all my work done and that does take puncuations right and i just speed things up. I have been blackmailed before, not just by my wife but others as well and i got out of it, wher you can find things on the other person(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">