• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible lawsuit against Dish Network for false advertisement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alainmarle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I recently contracted Dish Network services. One of the main features that made me decide for them was the chance to view the same programming you could see home on other devices like Ipad, Iphones and such. The problem is, that even though they advertise in their web page that you could see all the programming (I have looked all over their site, believe me, and found no exceptions), there are certain channels that can not be viewed because of their adult content. I never saw this exception anywhere and was mad at them when they could not fix it through their customer service department. My question is: Could I sue Dish Network for false advertisement? Do you think there is a real possibility to win this lawsuit?

Thanks

justalayman

Do you think there is a real possibility to win this lawsuit?
the most you would get is a right to terminate the contract.

If you believe there was false advertising, contact your states attorney general office. False advertising is something the state would have to prosecute.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I recently contracted Dish Network services. One of the main features that made me decide for them was the chance to view the same programming you could see home on other devices like Ipad, Iphones and such. The problem is, that even though they advertise in their web page that you could see all the programming (I have looked all over their site, believe me, and found no exceptions), there are certain channels that can not be viewed because of their adult content. I never saw this exception anywhere and was mad at them when they could not fix it through their customer service department. My question is: Could I sue Dish Network for false advertisement? Do you think there is a real possibility to win this lawsuit?

Thanks
Are you trying to view pay-per-view programming and/or are you trying to view recorded programs?

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you look again. Their site clearly states availability of channels is package dependent and lists the networks, movies etc available.

Zigner

I suggest you look again. Their site clearly states availability of channels is package dependent and lists the networks, movies etc available.
Dish allows you to view "any" of your available programming thru a Sling connection. I don't see anywhere that has anything restricting that except in the two areas I stated.

Zigner

Yes. http://www.dish.com/technology/dish-anywhere/?WT.svl=ribbon

Where does it say that he can't watch certain programs on Live TV? In fact, it specifically states that he's able to watch ALL live TV channels.

alainmarle

Yes, Zigner, that's exactly what I meant. Nowhere on the Dish info on Dish anywhere it shows exceptions on channels you can not view. I even bought an IPad to use it with dish anywhere.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you both go back and read the page again. Note third party claims by MSNBC and theAPPstore, which you are both apparently quoting. The later you discover by chasing the *.

alainmarle

I checked again their two pages both in English and Spanish and there is absolutely no * telling me as the end user I won't be able to view adult content, which was the explanation they gave me through customer service. I also checked the app store and nowhere in the info it shows any restrictions

cosine

Is it the case you would not have signed up with Dish at all if they made it clear that these channels would not be included in that feature? If so, then call them up and tell them you want to cancel your contract "because it was not fulfilled by Dish" and see how they handle it. You could quit paying and let them sue you. You most likely cannot get them to add these channels. There might have been fine print somewhere saying there were exceptions. The FTC and FCC will probably do nothing about it in a mass user scale because of the adult content. I suggest you follow swalsh411's advice in post 12 (there is far far more there than Dish would ever have).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">