• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible punishment for bigamy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PBarry

I'm in CA, my "husband" and I were married in Bermuda before my divorce to first husband was final. We both knew it and planned to legalize our marriage in county court at a later date, we never did. 3 years, a house and child later we have separated and I filed for annulment since his attorney has advised him not to accept a divorce due to the invalid marriage. What possible consequences will I face upon the annulment? Can I be prosecuted for bigamy? I have been told that they haven't prosecuted a case in CA in about 25 years but don't know that for sure. Any advice?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PBarry said:
I'm in CA, my "husband" and I were married in Bermuda before my divorce to first husband was final. We both knew it and planned to legalize our marriage in county court at a later date, we never did. 3 years, a house and child later we have separated and I filed for annulment since his attorney has advised him not to accept a divorce due to the invalid marriage. What possible consequences will I face upon the annulment? Can I be prosecuted for bigamy? I have been told that they haven't prosecuted a case in CA in about 25 years but don't know that for sure. Any advice?
My response:

On Jan. 31, 1945, Hamtramck-born Eddie Slovik was executed by firing a squad near the village of Ste-Marie aux Mines for the crime of desertion. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower, supreme allied commander, personally ordered the execution during the closing days of World War II in order to deter other potential deserters.

During World War II, 21,049 American military personel were convicted of desertion, 49 were sentenced to death, but only Pvt. Slovik paid the ultimate price. In fact, he was the only American soldier to be executed for desertion since the American Civil War.

Why did I bring that up ?

Eddie Slovik, as you can read, was a "test case", and no one had been executed for desertion since the American Civil War. You stated that a case of Bigamy hadn't been prosecuted for 25 years in California.

You could be that "test case".

While Bigamy is a ground for annulment in California, from a Civil standpoint, it is also a Criminal act. While bigamy is not an offense punishable by firing squad, it is a sure bet that if the D.A. finds out about this, you could be prosecuted.

California Penal Code section 283.
Bigamy is punishable by a fine not exceeding ten thousand
dollars ($10,000) or by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison.

How are you at making big rocks into little rocks ?

However, insofar as your current marriage is concerned, and your current husband's "use" of your bigamy against you, a man who participated in a formal marriage ceremony with a woman when they both knew that she did not have a final divorce from her prior husband, and who continued to live with her as her husband for 15 years, and who had two children with her, was estopped from asserting the invalidity of the marriage, and was required to pay spousal support pendente lite and attorney fees. [In Re Marriage of Recknor (1982, 2nd Dist) 138 Cal App 3d 539, 187 Cal Rptr 887, 34 ALR4th 805]

This decision has been criticized for failing to give due consideration to an essential element of estoppel, namely, the party asserting it must have been ignorant of the true state of the facts. [In re Marriage of Vryonis (1988, 2nd Dist) 202 Cal App 3d 712, 248 Cal Rptr 807]

Good luck.

IAAL

Last edited:
P

PBarry

Okay, now I am scared! Not particularly fond of rocks at all. Do you have any suggestions as to an alternative course of action? Should I try to file for divorce and hope it goes through with no glitches?haven't actually signed the annulment papers yet, but I am supposed to this week. pulease help (mispelled please purposely to convey my desperation) THANK YOU

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PBarry said:
Do you have any suggestions as to an alternative course of action?

My response:

Mexico is beautiful this time of year. How's your Spanish ?

How did that old "Taco Bell" jingle go ? Oh yeah, "Make a run for the border."

"Grab your shoes and pack your hat, leave your worries on the doorstep. Gold dust at your feet, on the sunny side of the street." (Willie Nelson)

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
Now this is one of the reasons why I am still on this website.
Good freakin' frolickin' fun.
My response:

Can you imagine actually saying this to one of our actual clients ? We're all thinking it when they do walk in, but can you imagine ? That's why I love FreeAdvice.Com. I can actually say what I'm thinking ! I love America.

IAAL

P

PBarry

Thanks guys...I love America too...but I'll be calling Margueritaville home now! Ahh the chips and salsa, Corona's with a lime...it wont be so bad huh? Can I pick you up any pottery or gucci knockoffs while I'm there? Buenos Dias Amigos

HomeGuru

Ah....it's a beautiful day, clear blue skies and 5 miles off the coast of Maui. The Hawaiian shirts and pareau's blowing in the wind. Parrotheads with their Corona's and lime sections. Move the nachos and salsa. It's lunch time and we're having cheeseburgers in paradise.
Turn up the CD player man, hey it's not Jimmy Buffet, it's the intro lead guitar of Carlos Santana on Smooth.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PBarry said:
Thanks guys...I love America too...but I'll be calling Margueritaville home now! Ahh the chips and salsa, Corona's with a lime...it wont be so bad huh? Can I pick you up any pottery or gucci knockoffs while I'm there? Buenos Dias Amigos
My response:

Actually, I need one of those doggies that bobs its head up and down so I can put it in the rear window deck of "I Wanna Be Like You" - - that's the name of my lowrider '65 Chevy.

IAAL

G

Grandma B

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:

My response:

Actually, I need one of those doggies that bobs its head up and down so I can put it in the rear window deck of "I Wanna Be Like You" - - that's the name of my lowrider '65 Chevy.

IAAL
Don't they have hula dancers that work on the same principle? I think that would be more suitable for IWBLY:cool:

HomeGuru

IAAL. Ah just git two of each. There's a lot or room for 2 dancing dogs and 2 hula girls. Wiki Wacky Woo and Hula too.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

To our original writer:

I have been thinking about your situation because something kept gnawing at me about the "equities" of your plight. Therefore, because of my additional research on the subject, I have amended my original answer to you to add potentially helpful research concerning "equitable estoppel" of your husband's use of your Bigamy. In effect, he's trying to keep California's Community Property laws from "kicking into play" so that he can keep everything, or at least, leave you with little.

He's got "unclean" hands in this matter too, and just can't lay it all at your feet.

IAAL

Last edited:

LegalBeagle

Funny because I was thinking about this earlier when I read this thread. The 'husband' knew about her prior marriage and knew she was not divorced. Normally, being aware of a crime and going along with it, is itself a crime.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

That is, of course, what our writer is "saying". However, when push comes to shove, guess what he's going to say ? That's right, "I didn't know about any of this stuff".

So, our writer's biggest hurdle will be to prove "scienter" - - his previous knowledge.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">