• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible To Request Surveillance and Etc Records???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mec4040

What is the name of your state? NY

Hello,

Without getting into alot of details, a friend of mine agreed to work with a department, in a investigation that is still active. He has been under surveillance at different periods and wants to know if its possible to request, log sheets, surveillance video, direct observation notes, etc?

The reason why he wants to request these records is because, he was in a car accident and hope it might show fault. He does not know, if on that day of the accident, if he was even being watched. But there is a really good chance he was.

Even if there was no video, he is wondering if maybe there was direct observation, and notes were filed explaining what happened.

Last question, if these records cannot be requested by F.O.I.A/Etc, then can it be done by a lawyer with a court order or something?

Thanks,

JK

Mec4040

Hello,

First, thank you for taking out the time to drop by and answer. Also, to clear things up, its not just the video I want to request, its anything and everything that they might have for the day the accident happened.

Outonbail, why do you feel it will not happen. Do you know from trying it yourself? Would it work if I had a lawyer request them?

Please if anyone else reads this, please help out. Its extremely important.

Thanks
JK

outonbail

Hello,

First, thank you for taking out the time to drop by and answer. Also, to clear things up, its not just the video I want to request, its anything and everything that they might have for the day the accident happened.

Outonbail, why do you feel it will not happen. Do you know from trying it yourself? Would it work if I had a lawyer request them?

Please if anyone else reads this, please help out. Its extremely important.

Thanks
JK
If there is actually an ongoing investigation, where in some law enforcement agency is currently in the process of gathering evidence and building a case by way of surveillance and the filming of suspects/crimes etc. Do you actually believe they would take the chance of blowing their entire investigation by releasing the evidence they've worked long and hard to aquire? Evidence which will most likely be submitted to a judge, in order to secure a search warrant?

Sorry, but lawyer or no lawyer, it's not going to happen. They wouldn't even tell you whether or not the information your asking about exists.

If your claim of this investigation is true, which I kind of doubt, your friend is a fool for shooting his mouth off about his involvment.

Mec4040

Hello,

Why would my friend be a fool for telling me about his involment, I dont understand? He is a close friend of mine, very close. And as for me asking online, please tell me if I'm wrong, but there is no way for anyone to know who he is, or what case he is involed in, and the investigation cant be blown...right? Because if it can, please explain.

I'm not asking to have all of their 'evidence', as well the type of 'evidence' I'm asking for would not blow their case. If they were there filming or just watching him, when the accident happened and gave me the tape, it would not blow their case. The people they are trying to arrest, were not involveded in the accident, they were not there the day of the accident.

As mentioned, my friend is working with them, so they dont have to worry about him finding anything out.

Please let me know, maybe there is something we both didnt think of, that could get him into trouble. Again, I dont see how...mainly because no names or etc where mentioned.

Thanks
JK

PS: If I cant request them, then can it still be done by either some form of FOIA or Sunshine Act???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">