• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Note to LL on door?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

applecruncher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I posted a thread about problems my uncle was having back in February.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/he-due-refund-506033.html#post2496728

UPDATE: He DID get a refund of one month’s rent (deposit excess) plus interest – which surprised me. (They kept one omnths’s sec dep, which is understandable until he moves.)

However, there are more problems. I visited him recently and found out his refrigerator has been broken since last July! :eek: He complained several times, in writing, and the owner gave him a key to use the refrig in a vacant apt. across the hall. :rolleyes: This was a hassle. Owner and property mgmt complained they were having financial problems. DUH. Then had a friend help him follow the steps to put rent into escrow as of April 1. There are other more minor repair issues. Uncle has to have surgery in May, but yes, he IS going to look for another place to move.

When I visited him Thursday, while I was there he got a call from the owner saying they can’t buy a new refrigerator unless he goes downtown and releases the rent. The owner had the nerve to tell my uncle that HE is causing THEM cash flow problems!! He said he will release the rent only AFTER he has the new refrig. So . . . a salesman from appliance store called, and a new refrig was delivered on Friday.

Uncle is going to go to Rent Escrow office and release the rent tomorrow (Monday) and mail the key to apt across the hall back to the prop mgmt office. However, he is tired of the unannounced pop-ip visits and discussion from the owner, the finger-pointing between the owner and property manager, repetitive pointless discussions, etc. This is upsetting him and I think it borders on harassment.

By the way, they told him a week ago that they do not want to lose him as a tenant, but after his surgery he is going to look for another apartment.

My question: How about him posting a note on his front door saying 1) that he does not want anymore unannounced visits from the owner 2) the rent will be released on Monday and the court will sent it to the landlord 3) he does not want to hear any more excuses nor does he want to hear about their cash flow problems 4) the key to the vacant unit has been mailed to the office, and 5) reminder about several pending repairs. (broken back screen door, grass badly needs cut, locks on mailboxes are broken).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I posted a thread about problems my uncle was having back in February.

https://forum.freeadvice.com/landlord-tenant-issues-42/he-due-refund-506033.html#post2496728

UPDATE: He DID get a refund of one month’s rent (deposit excess) plus interest – which surprised me. (They kept one omnths’s sec dep, which is understandable until he moves.)

However, there are more problems. I visited him recently and found out his refrigerator has been broken since last July! :eek: He complained several times, in writing, and the owner gave him a key to use the refrig in a vacant apt. across the hall. :rolleyes: This was a hassle. Owner and property mgmt complained they were having financial problems. DUH. Then had a friend help him follow the steps to put rent into escrow as of April 1. There are other more minor repair issues. Uncle has to have surgery in May, but yes, he IS going to look for another place to move.

When I visited him Thursday, while I was there he got a call from the owner saying they can’t buy a new refrigerator unless he goes downtown and releases the rent. The owner had the nerve to tell my uncle that HE is causing THEM cash flow problems!! He said he will release the rent only AFTER he has the new refrig. So . . . a salesman from appliance store called, and a new refrig was delivered on Friday.

Uncle is going to go to Rent Escrow office and release the rent tomorrow (Monday) and mail the key to apt across the hall back to the prop mgmt office. However, he is tired of the unannounced pop-ip visits and discussion from the owner, the finger-pointing between the owner and property manager, repetitive pointless discussions, etc. This is upsetting him and I think it borders on harassment.

By the way, they told him a week ago that they do not want to lose him as a tenant, but after his surgery he is going to look for another apartment.

My question: How about him posting a note on his front door saying 1) that he does not want anymore unannounced visits from the owner 2) the rent will be released on Monday and the court will sent it to the landlord 3) he does not want to hear any more excuses nor does he want to hear about their cash flow problems 4) the key to the vacant unit has been mailed to the office, and 5) reminder about several pending repairs. (broken back screen door, grass badly needs cut, locks on mailboxes are broken).
Why doesn't he just MAIL the note, certified, return receipt requested?

applecruncher

Why doesn't he just MAIL the note, certified, return receipt requested?
Based on my conversation with him last night, he's dreading the owner showing up first thing tomorrow morning asking "when are you going to release the rent?" and perhaps getting into an accusatory confrontational situation about who is at fault, their cash flow problems, etc. etc. He is planning on going to release the rent tomorrow afternoon. Of course, he can put a copy of the note with the key to vacant apt and mail them CRR.

But mainly he is fed up with the appearances and pointless discussions. He doesn't even want to take any more of their calls because of what happened last week.

For now, he wants them to leave him alone.

Who's Liable?

Inform him to mail his letter CRR tomorrow.

There is nothing he can do but ignore them unless they threaten physical violence.

applecruncher

This morning uncle heard owner showing another unit. He took the key to the vacant unit (where he’d been using refrig) and handed it to the owner without saying a word. Owner was all smiley and friendly, asked if new refrig was delivered and uncle just said ‘yes’ and that he would release the rent later today. (He tore up his nasty letter – no need to send it, they KNOW they’re full of it.) As I pointed out, no need to fan the flame. (Told him to ignore any further appearances unless he is given 24 hr notice, and not to get into anymore unnecessary discussions.) For now all is quiet on the front but as soon as he recovers from his next surgery I’ll help him look for another place. Incredible that they have a “for rent” sign in the front yard and they’re showing units with the grass not even being cut.

applecruncher

What does THAT have to do with anything? :rolleyes:
Well, let's see. I'll try to help to alleviate your confusion. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Landlord, rent, apartments, reasons for their purported cash flow issues, etc. etc. etc. What's it to you, anyway? It's my thread and if I wish to make a general comment, I will do so. If you can't understand editorial commentary, or if it's causing you some type of stress, then feel free not to read it. ;) You've contributed nothing here anyway - only to ask 2 pointless questiions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">