• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Potential consequence?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

State: NY

My son got a ticket for a knowingly obscured license plate. He has been driving for about 3 years now and has a clean record.

The car was purchased from auto trader and the plate is a temporary paper that was taped in the front and back windows. We haven't gotten the regular plates yet. Apparently, he had his window open and the paper was moving hence the charge.

I suggested hiring an attorney to fight the charge. He seems to think it won't be a bad fine and no points. I look forward to your advice.

Just Blue

My son got a ticket for a knowingly obscured license plate. He has been driving for about 3 years now and has a clean record.

The car was purchased from auto trader and the plate is a temporary paper that was taped in the front and back windows. We haven't gotten the regular plates yet. Apparently, he had his window open and the paper was moving hence the charge.

I suggested hiring an attorney to fight the charge. He seems to think it won't be a bad fine and no points. I look forward to your advice.
Who's car is this? Consulting with an attorney would be a good idea.

quincy

The state of New York has had a costly problem with drivers avoiding toll fees by purposely obscuring their license plates. I understand that Governor Hochul proposed increasing the penalties for driving with obscured plates but I don’t know offhand if the increases made it into the 2024 budget.

Right now, and to my knowledge, the law (Vehicle and Traffic Law section 402) is as stated in the following link:

https://ypdcrime.com/vt/article14.php#402

Violators face fines of between $25 and $200.

Last edited:

Bali Hai Again

If there are no points associated just pay the fine. Just to let you know, if this happened within the 5 Boroughs of NYC there is no plea bargaining in traffic court there. Try Googling AVVO. A Traffic Lawyer will tell you over the phone if the charge is worth fighting. A number of years ago, I had a potential 6 point speeding ticket reduced to a parking ticket. It was well worth hiring a traffic lawyer familiar with the court and paying a high priced parking ticket.

quincy

If there are no points associated just pay the fine. Just to let you know, if this happened within the 5 Boroughs of NYC there is no plea bargaining in traffic court there. Try Googling AVVO. A Traffic Lawyer will tell you over the phone if the charge is worth fighting. A number of years ago, I had a potential 6 point speeding ticket reduced to a parking ticket. It was well worth hiring a traffic lawyer familiar with the court and paying a high priced parking ticket.
IF this is a 402 violation, there are no points. Just a fine. A traffic attorney potentially could get the ticket dismissed but the price of the fine versus the price of an attorney probably makes paying the fine a better financial choice.

Speaking to a traffic attorney to make sure that the ticket is a simple no-point violation would be smart. Hiring an attorney to get the ticket dismissed, on the other hand, might not be.

isis297

The car is in my name.

The citation is 4021B2. I'm looking it up after I post this. I understand about the people who put things over their plates, but he didn't do that. It's a piece of paper in the window because we bought the car through auto trader. In fact, the one on the car now is different because we haven't gotten the new plates so they sent new temporary "tags".

I spoke to a lawyer briefly who's helping me. I got my first ticket in almost 10 years for speeding so it made sense to me to try to get mine reduced. He simply said for my son to call him and that the fines can be hefty. I don't believe they've connected yet.

quincy

The car is in my name.

The citation is 4021B2. I'm looking it up after I post this. I understand about the people who put things over their plates, but he didn't do that. It's a piece of paper in the window because we bought the car through auto trader. In fact, the one on the car now is different because we haven't gotten the new plates so they sent new temporary "tags".

I spoke to a lawyer briefly who's helping me. I got my first ticket in almost 10 years for speeding so it made sense to me to try to get mine reduced. He simply said for my son to call him and that the fines can be hefty. I don't believe they've connected yet.
The fines could be less than what the attorney you spoke to charges to get the ticket dismissed but the attorney should know the process, which is helpful.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.

isis297

The fines could be less than what the attorney you spoke to charges to get the ticket dismissed but the attorney should know the process, which is helpful.

Good luck with whatever decision you decide to make.
Thank you, as always.

He talked to the lawyer and I talked to someone on the DMV page. The lawyer agreed he should go a day the personal defender, I think he called the person, is there. The person I spoke with said he should send his ticket in pleading not guilty along with proof of the autotrader deal and proof we are waiting for tags. She said worst case scenario is he might have to pay $188. Best case scenario is they dismiss it.

Thank you again everyone. I appreciate all of you.

Bali Hai Again

Thank you, as always.

He talked to the lawyer and I talked to someone on the DMV page. The lawyer agreed he should go a day the personal defender, I think he called the person, is there. The person I spoke with said he should send his ticket in pleading not guilty along with proof of the autotrader deal and proof we are waiting for tags. She said worst case scenario is he might have to pay $188. Best case scenario is they dismiss it.

It would be nice if the ticket was dismissed but I wouldn’t count on it. 188 bucks plus surcharge and no points is about as low as it goes, especially in the “we need revenue” areas.

quincy

Thank you, as always.

Based on what you have said in your posts, I think your son has a pretty good chance of having the ticket dismissed, especially if he goes to court armed with AutoTrade papers. The attorney your son spoke to has offered him good advice.

Paper plates taped in rear windows are notorious for becoming unstuck, not only from breezes from the windows but also from heat from the sun. The problem New York is experiencing with obscured license plates generally comes when drivers purposely cover their plates with plastic, or coat their plates, or otherwise obscure the numbers, so they can’t be read by toll or red light cameras. This has been a way used by too many drivers to avoid toll costs and fines.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">