• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Practicing without License?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Str87daze

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? KY

Can anyone advise immigrants about immigration law and help them apply, fill out docs, etc for money? Or is that practicing without a license? Specifically, can a paralegal preform that type of work on his own?
Thanks

HomeGuru

Str87daze said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? KY

Can anyone advise immigrants about immigration law and help them apply, fill out docs, etc for money? Or is that practicing without a license? Specifically, can a paralegal preform that type of work on his own?
Thanks

**A: a fee paid consultant is legal but said consultant should not be advising on immigration law.

Str87daze

Consultant?

Can you explain "fee based consultant?" Does this allow a person to fill out forms for immigrants and state that they perform legal services? The other question is can anyone do this or just a paralegal? and if you are a paralegal, does being on parole as a convicted federal felon negate your ability to work in the legal field?
Thanks

HomeGuru

Str87daze said:
Can you explain "fee based consultant?" Does this allow a person to fill out forms for immigrants and state that they perform legal services? The other question is can anyone do this or just a paralegal? and if you are a paralegal, does being on parole as a convicted federal felon negate your ability to work in the legal field?
Thanks

**A: oh brother. Let's start over. Please post real questions on real situations.
We don't respond to "what if's"

Str87daze

A: oh brother. Let's start over. Please post real questions on real situations.

Just to let the responder know...this isn't a what if. I am asking because my tenant told me that he was a doctor in his home country and although he was licensed here, he no longer practice as he started a new venture earlier in life. That would be practicing as an attorney, which I have since found out, he is not an attorney, but has a paralegal certificate from some mail order school. He said that he was performing his service of helping immigrants with there immigration forms and issues at the office I leased him. In addition, he was running a foreign language newspaper. He appeared very credible and he turned out to be a deadbeat. I have since discovered that he is on parole from a federal offense out of FL. I have also found that he fooled many people including his last landlord and his new landlord, who is a doctor and he feel for the stories. I just want to know if what he was doing was legal.

HomeGuru

Str87daze said:
A: oh brother. Let's start over. Please post real questions on real situations.

Just to let the responder know...this isn't a what if. I am asking because my tenant told me that he was a doctor in his home country and although he was licensed here, he no longer practice as he started a new venture earlier in life. That would be practicing as an attorney, which I have since found out, he is not an attorney, but has a paralegal certificate from some mail order school. He said that he was performing his service of helping immigrants with there immigration forms and issues at the office I leased him. In addition, he was running a foreign language newspaper. He appeared very credible and he turned out to be a deadbeat. I have since discovered that he is on parole from a federal offense out of FL. I have also found that he fooled many people including his last landlord and his new landlord, who is a doctor and he feel for the stories. I just want to know if what he was doing was legal.
**A: ok, is he the "attorney" that sent me that Nigerian letter asking for my letterhead and checking account number so I can share in $25 million?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">