• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prejudicial Action by Property Manager during Covid 19 surge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekall

You've had a year to read it. There's no reason to guess.
No reason to waste my time either.

True, a lawyer who I have interested wants a copy of order for re-inspection and lease.

But even if there is a technicality to stop them - it is still a losing proposition.

As far as I know this state/city has no cause evictions - So I suppose they can kick you out just 'cause they don't like you.
Like with this manager - I believe she just doesn't like me and is stretching her negative view of my apartment accordingly
- for a 35 year old place where all cabinets smelled musty to begin with, I have kept it in relatively decent condition.

The condition for re-inspection are apparently asking me to upgrade to like new condition - As clean as the day I moved in. I'm wondering if even the professional cleaning services can do that?

"Again, apartment is for 'for old and disabled' only - Does that mean they want old and disabled because they are easier to take advantage of ???

Rekall

You mean the few seconds it took to read the statement?
No, I mean the last 10 minutes I spent studying the bath floor which I told her was stained from using rubbing alcohol
- And In fact is dirty and stained - which is good!
Why? - because now I don't feel like a persecuted person - The floor really needs to be cleaned and probably professionally as it is not cleaning easily.

And again age and disability is at work - younger eyes would have seen what is.

But talk about reading lease - Again why? I can still remember part of the lease I signed almost 30 years ago with a private landlord - Clause allows for inspection and entry to apt with one day notice - It was only a few pages long.
- Don't have to waste time reading a 23 page lease - Just to find all the clauses allowing entry and inspection of premises.

So we can now change the title of this thread from "Prejudicial Action by Property Manager during Covid 19 Surge"
to:

:cool: "THE CASE OF THE DIRTY FLOOR!"

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
As far as I know this state/city has no cause evictions - So I suppose they can kick you out just 'cause they don't like you.
Like with this manager - I believe she just doesn't like me and is stretching her negative view of my apartment accordingly
- for a 35 year old place where all cabinets smelled musty to begin with, I have kept it in relatively decent condition.

The condition for re-inspection are apparently asking me to upgrade to like new condition - As clean as the day I moved in. I'm wondering if even the professional cleaning services can do that?

"Again, apartment is for 'for old and disabled' only - Does that mean they want old and disabled because they are easier to take advantage of ???
Um... "Normal wear and tear" covers damage from normal use, not filth.

So yes, it is not unreasonable to expect that you maintain a clean household.

I fail to see where the "discrimination" is. I've known plenty of "old and disabled" people who kept their placed neat and clean.

Rekall

Um... "Normal wear and tear" covers damage from normal use, not filth.

So yes, it is not unreasonable to expect that you maintain a clean household.

I fail to see where the "discrimination" is. I've known plenty of "old and disabled" people who kept their placed neat and clean.
True, BUT in the words of that famous Hindu deity, What's his name?

"DIRTY OLD MEN NEED LOVE TOO" :)

quincy

... I used to love the motto on New Hampshire license plates:

"Live Free or Die"
I still like Wisconsin’s proposed state motto: Eat Cheese or Die. Much better in my opinion than the motto they adopted (“Forward”).

Some legal documents are lengthier than others. There are both pros and cons to the short document. Whatever the length, however, a person is not excused from not reading everything written. Once you sign, you are agreeing to everything that is written, even if it is written on page 19 of a 23 page lease. Your signature legally binds you to the terms and conditions.

I am glad the area complained of was identified so you can concentrate your efforts on cleaning the bathroom floor.

Rekall

I still like Wisconsin’s proposed state motto: Eat Cheese or Die. Much better in my opinion than the motto they adopted (“Forward”).

Some legal documents are lengthier than others. There are both pros and cons to the short document. Whatever the length, however, a person is not excused from not reading everything written. Once you sign, you are agreeing to everything that is written, even if it is written on page 19 of a 23 page lease. Your signature legally binds you to the terms and conditions.

I am glad the area complained of was identified so you can concentrate your efforts on cleaning the bathroom floor.
Like when you sign on a website, software, or what not - Then they give you multiple pages of legalese language.
Supposed to read every word? Are you expected to understand it?

Or, again, back to my 23 page lease - Again, with a lot of legaleze language - Even if I read every word am I truly supposed to understand it ???

I don't know but if I was a lawyer I would dispute what you are saying on the grounds that the language is meant for people who understand the law - And I would bet you that many people signing contracts do not really know or understand what they are signing - Most contracts from companies on the internet seem only designed to protect the company - NOT THE CONSUMER, NOT THE SIGNEE OF THE CONTRACTRACT - I may find grounds to dispute the contract on the grounds that it is misleading in action even it it appears straight forward. :devilish:

quincy

Like when you sign on a website, software, or what not - Then they give you multiple pages of legalese language.
Supposed to read every word? Are you expected to understand it?

Or, again, back to my 23 page lease - Again, with a lot of legaleze language - Even if I read every word am I truly supposed to understand it ???

I don't know but if I was a lawyer I would dispute what you are saying on the grounds that the language is meant for people who understand the law - And I would bet you that many people signing contracts do not really know or understand what they are signing - Most contracts from companies on the internet seem only designed to protect the company - NOT THE CONSUMER, NOT THE SIGNEE OF THE CONTRACTRACT - I may find grounds to dispute the contract on the grounds that it is misleading in action even it it appears straight forward. :devilish:
Yes. You are expected to read and understand any legally binding document before signing. If you don’t understand what you’ve read, you either get an attorney to explain it to you in words you understand - or you don’t sign.

This is not to say everyone does this. Practically no one does this. Sometimes it doesn’t matter. Other times it does.

Rekall

Yes. You are expected to read and understand any legally binding document before signing. If you don’t understand what you’ve read, you either get an attorney to explain it to you in words you understand - or you don’t sign.

This is not to say everyone does this. Practically no one does this. Sometimes it doesn’t matter. Other times it does.
How many software program contracts have you signed? {AGREE}?} Ever read any of them?

Can't say how many I've signed 'agree' to over the years and can't remember the last time I tried to read one.
- But I would bet you almost all of them have a disclaimer - more or less saying we are not responsible to any damage caused by this program to your computer.

Shouldn't every lease agreement, if it be truthful, have at the end of it - Leaser does not give a dam about leasee
And leasee's only interest to leaser is for leasers benefit?

quincy

How many software program contracts have you signed? {AGREE}?} Ever read any of them?

Can't say how many I've signed 'agree' to over the years and can't remember the last time I tried to read one.
- But I would bet you almost all of them have a disclaimer - more or less saying we are not responsible to any damage caused by this program to your computer.

Shouldn't every lease agreement, if it be truthful, have at the end of it - Leaser does not give a dam about leasee
Sure. That could simplify things.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have - not sure of how many. I have agreed to far more without reading than I have actually read, but I do read them, on occasion.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Rekall

"Dirty old............."
This comment is hugely offensive.
Maybe - My problem is manager has in essence called my just that because of a stain on the bathroom floor.

Fact is my place is decently, if not super clean - Only a 'control freak' with an attitude, a pre-programmed prejudicial mind set, would make a big deal about it in a low income housing complex for seniors and the disabled.

Of course I was using the expression humorously as it is often used.

Sorry you are offended - It was not made to be offensive as I used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">