• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous employers..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vinniepearl

What is the name of your state? IA, but i worked in IL

I was wondering what are past employers allowed to say about you? I didn't care for my previous job so I put in my two weeks notice and left on proper terms. I have a feeling that they are saying bad things to company's I'm applying to. I've always been curious of this, can someone share some advice with me?

Thanks

pattytx

They are allowed to say anything that is factual, they have reason to believe is factual, or their honest opinion.

Why do you think that it's something the employer may be saying in a reference check that is causing you to not get a job offer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And are you getting called for interviews and then not getting the job, or are you not getting called for interviews?

BarbT

Normally previous employers stick to the general inquiry questions. They usually only give more detail when they are asked. You can tell a new employer not to contact a previous refernece, just tell the truth as to why. It should work.

pattytx

BarbT said:
Normally previous employers stick to the general inquiry questions. They usually only give more detail when they are asked. You can tell a new employer not to contact a previous refernece, just tell the truth as to why. It should work.
You can request it, but the employer has no legal obligation to honor your request.

fairisfair

BarbT said:
Bad idea, I would seriously question the work history of any employee who tried to direct which of his previous employers I could and could not contact. With the exception of his current employer.

vinniepearl

I said they could contact all of them I believe. However what my past employers think about me or say about me I can't control. My last employer were a bunch of wierdo's, and I a long with 4 other people had quit around the same time. I quit for a few reasons, one of which was management; but the other was because I just didn't feel like I was the person they were looking for. I wasn't digging the work and I just didn't enjoy being there. So I talked to my boss who was pretty understanding, and that was it. My guess is that the HR lady who obviously has some psychological issues is saying things about me. She is pretty quick to judge, and has never done my job so she would have no idea of what it consisted of.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">