• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Primary maker filed Ch 7 on auto loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MN

I recieved a notice of bankruptcy filing from an ex-boyfriend. We have an auto loan through Ford Motor Credit which he kept after the breakup. He quit making the payments 3 months ago, so I paid up and took possession of the vehicle. I don't believe he will reaffirm with FMC at the Bk hearing. I am listed as one of the creditors in his BK papers, although he doesn't owe me any money. Obviously, I am on the hook for the van payments, but how will this affect me and why do you think he is listing me as a creditor?

Ladynred

He's listing you as a creditor as standard procedure - and because you are co-signer on the loan.

This should NOT affect you at all, other than the creditor coming to you for the payments. It should NOT end up on your credit report, and if it does, you can dispute it off rather easily as YOU are not the one with the bankruptcy.

Should I show up at the meeting of creditors? I really don't want to have any further contact with that lump.....but I do want to protect my credit.

djohnson

Your credit is fine. You are listed so you can't come back and sue him for anything, like half of what is due on the van, stuff like that. How you pay the payments can be on your credit. If he owes you any money or anything you might want to go, otherwise you don't have to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">