• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PRIMUS financial, late payments issue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keith.e

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hi, I purchased a vehicle five years ago. My father co-signed on it and I made all the payments with checks at the time (now I use automatic withdrawls through my bank account). However, two years into the payments, my parents filed for bankruptcy.

I continued to make payments on the car each month without receiving any invoices. Even though I was not the one in bankruptcy, I received no correspondence that my payments were received. First question: Should I have received invoices regarding my payments regardless of the fact that my dad co-signed on the vehicle and was now in bankruptcy?

A year later, my parents were out of bankruptcy. I switch to automatic withdraws from my checking account. All seems well... until I decide to check my credit report about two months ago. It turns out that during the time of my parents' bankruptcy multiple payments were late (nine or so out of twelve).

So my next question is:

What (if any) legal action I can take to get these late payment blemishes removed under these circumstances?

Thanks for your time.
-Keith

Ladynred

I would be willing to bet that YOU are not the prim-a-r-y on the loan but your father IS. Even so, as a co-debtor, you must have been listed in their bankrutpcy (its required) AND you should have been notified of it. Accounts in bankruptcy are usually handled by a completely different department so your 'usual' payments were likely not processed normally but were shunted to the bankruptcy dept which probably made them late.

You can dispute the lates with the bureaus and with the furnisher , but I hope you have proof of when every payment during that time was made or you have little hope of prevailing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">