• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prior owner of my new phone number appears to be a deadbeat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TinkerBelleLuvr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I received my new phone number (moved) on 12/6. Apparently, the person who had this number before didn't pay his bills. So, what is the best way for me to get rid of these folks? I've tell them the same thing: it is my new number and I have no idea who this person is that you are asking about and yet they continue to harass me. Any ideas?

TinkerBelleLuvr

They will charge ME to change the number; that's not to say that the next number has the same problem.

Besides repeatedly telling these folks that I don't know these folks, any way to get rid of them? I'm not a party to the debt, therefore, I don't have protection from the law.

LdiJ

They will charge ME to change the number; that's not to say that the next number has the same problem.

Besides repeatedly telling these folks that I don't know these folks, any way to get rid of them? I'm not a party to the debt, therefore, I don't have protection from the law.
Threaten them with harassment charges. Explain that its a new phone number etc., and tell them that if they do not remove it from their system that you will call the police and ask for them to be cited with harassment. It may not work, but its worth a try. Asking them for full names and addresses so that you can send cease and desist letters as well can work.

Bosco

I'm not a party to the debt, therefore, I don't have protection from the law.
Yes, you most certainly do.

§ 806. Harassment or abuse [15 USC 1692d]

A debt collector may not engage in any conduct the natural consequence of which is to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection with the collection of a debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:
(5) Causing a telephone to ring or engaging any person in telephone conversation repeatedly or continuously with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the called number.
§ 804. Acquisition of location information [15 USC 1692b]

Any debt collector communicating with any person other than the consumer for the purpose of acquiring location information about the consumer shall --

(1) identify himself, state that he is confirming or correcting location information concerning the consumer, and, only if expressly requested, identify his employer;
Also, Florida has its own consumer protection law which is essentially a carbon copy of the FDCPA, so you have protection on both the state and federal level. If they are calling a cell phone you probably can get them on TCPA violations too.

Now, the only thing you have to do is be able to document that you've told them to stop calling.

FlyingRon

Believe me there is no amount of action you can take against the low life scum collection agencies. I worked up to the president of National Recovery down in Georgia as well as filing complaints with the local police down there. Unfortunately, the laws protect the DEADBEAT not the innocent bystander whose number is being abused.

I'd continue to harass the phone company people until they reissue you a number for FREE. They will do this if you press them hard enough. If not, pay the $35 or whatever and file a complaint on the www.fcc.gov. It will take a few months but it will eventually get routed to a lawyer high up in the company who will be empowered to refund your money.

Bosco

Believe me there is no amount of action you can take against the low life scum collection agencies. I worked up to the president of National Recovery down in Georgia as well as filing complaints with the local police down there. Unfortunately, the laws protect the DEADBEAT not the innocent bystander whose number is being abused.
Come on buddy, I just posted the actual text of the law showing where the protections exist.

I'd continue to harass the phone company people until they reissue you a number for FREE. They will do this if you press them hard enough. If not, pay the $35 or whatever and file a complaint on the www.fcc.gov. It will take a few months but it will eventually get routed to a lawyer high up in the company who will be empowered to refund your money.
That doesn't really solve the issue though, and the OP (as she mentioned) could essentially run into the same problem even with a new number.

OP needs to document her notices to these companies and if they continue to harass her she should file lawsuits accordingly.

cosine

As long as they are trying to collect the debt from you (and calling you again after they are notified that the named person is not there does establish they are trying to collect it from you) then you are a "consumer" under the FDCPA definition.

1692a(3)
The term “consumer” means any natural person obligated or allegedly obligated to pay any debt.
1692c(c)
If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except—
If you send a "cease communication" letter to them, and they continue collection efforts, and you sue them under the FDCPA, they might argue that you are not a consumer. But that opens them up to many other violations. But most debt collectors will just stop at this point. If you want to be gracious, suggest that they contact the phone company to locate the debtor that previously had the number. Maybe that debtor just changed the number and now has a new one at the same address.

TigerD

1. Most of the posts here are horribly wrong. (Except for the one by FlyingRon - that was scarily accurate)
2. Cosine - the collectors are not attempting to collect from the OP - they are attempting to collect from the debtor -- different story.
3. Bosco - You are a consistent -- I'll say that. Still horribly wrong, but consistent.
4. LdiJ - People threaten collectors all day long. Doesn't impress them. The phone monkey doesn't care. Best result is he sets you for a recall tomorrow. Worst result is he marks the number as a valid (confirmed) contact number for the debtor. A debtor isn't going to get criminal harassment charges against a debt collector calling no more than once per day anywhere in the country.
5. OP: It is a process. You have to tell them you are not the debtor. The worst case for is that the debtor may still be giving out the number as theirs. (Seen it happen.) My advice is to change your number - paying the fee is surely cheaper than the irritation you will feel at having to answer the phone for collectors trying to find the debtor. Frankly, I have had to deal with that too and it takes time. Every time there is a new skip tracer on the account, you will start getting calls again. Chances are the bad guy doesn't have just one debt. You will get calls from many agencies looking for the dirtbag. And they will kick back up every six months.

DC

Bosco

3. Bosco - You are a consistent -- I'll say that. Still horribly wrong, but consistent.
You've either been out of the game too long, weren't any good at it to begin with, or both.

Courtesy of Daniel Edelman's 2012 FDCPA Review. All bolding mine.

2. WHO IS ENTITLED TO SUE

The FDCPA applies to "consumer" debts, and certain substantive provisions, e.g.,
§1692c(a), only protect "consumers." A "consumer" is "any natural person obligated or allegedly
obligated to pay any debt." 15 U.S.C. §1692a(3). The consumer's executrix has standing to bring
an FDCPA action. Wright v. Finance Service of Norwalk, Inc., 22 F.3d 647 (6th Cir. 1994) (en
banc); Riveria v. MAB Collections, Inc., 682 F.Supp. 174 (W.D.N.Y. 1988).

It should be noted that certain substantive protections of the FDCPA are not
limited to "consumers
," e.g., §1692e. West v. Costen, 558 F.Supp. 564 (W.D.Va. 1983); Villareal
v. Snow, 95 C 2484, 1996 WL 28254, 1996 WL 28282, 1996 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 667, *6 (N.D.Ill.
Jan. 19, 1996); Whatley v. Universal Collection Bureau, 525 F.Supp. 1204, 1205-6 (N.D.Ga.
1981). Persons who do not in fact owe money but who are subjected to improper practices by
debt collectors are entitled to the protection of the FDCPA
. Dutton v. Wolhar, 809 F.Supp. 1130,
1134-5 (D.Del. 1992); Flowers v. Accelerated Bureau of Collections, 96 C 4003, 1997 U.S.Dist.
LEXIS 3354, 1997 WL 136313 (N.D.Ill. Mar 19, 1997),later opinion, 1997 WL 224987, 1997
U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6070 (N.D. Ill. Apr. 30, 1997); Riveria v. MAB Collections, Inc., 682 F.Supp.
174, 175 (W.D.N.Y. 1988) ("any person who comes in contact with proscribed debt collection
practices may bring a claim
"); Thomas v. Consumer Adjustment Co., 579 F. Supp. 2d 1290, 1298
(E.D. Mo. 2008);Conboy v. AT&T Corp., 84 F. Supp. 2d 492, 504 n.9 (S.D.N.Y. 2000);Dewey v.
Associated Collectors, Inc., 927 F. Supp. 1172, 1174-75 (W.D. Wis. 1996); Johnson v. Bullhead
Invs., LLC, 1:09CV639, 2010 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 2382 (M.D.N.C., January 11, 2010) (“Because
the plain language of Section 1692k does not limit recovery to ‘consumers,’ courts have
recognized that under certain circumstances, third-party, non-debtors may have standing to bring
claims under the FDCPA. For example, courts have found standing to sue in cases where a person
who was not alleged to be the debtor was nonetheless harassed by a debt collection agency in its
attempts to track down a debtor. . . .
”).

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

Well, at least one of the creditors finally believe me (I think) after they were told a number of times that this is a new number and that I have no knowledge of the person they are trying to contact. I have a list of the numbers who have called and been told this info. We shall see.

TigerD

Great Bosco. You can quote someone.

It doesn't change the fact that you are wrong. 804 and 805 don't mean what you seem to think they do.

And, I was very good. Sure, I had FDCPA complaints like any good collector - but I, nor my employers, ever lost an FDCPA claim against me and never paid a penny because of my collecting, supervision or management. No one on my teams ever lost an FDCPA claim or fight.

And, yeah, I dealt with a lot of professional debtors like yourself.

You cited to Sect. 806 (5)
1. Attempting to cont a debtor at his/her phone number is not harassing.
2. Sub (5) has a one call per day limit. So calling every day at 8 a.m. is not harassing by definition.
3. Sect. 804 doesn't apply - the collector is calling the debtor's phone number. This is the number the debtor provided. They are not acquiring location information. But you knew that.

Bosco, you are a hazard to people using this site for information.
I truly hope the administrators review your advice and posting privileges. I have recently seen you counsel people to intentional illegality (recording telephone calls without permission in California) and given advice that was uninformed and misleading at best, or intentionally incorrect at worst. At the very least, your posts should come with a warning sticker.

DC

Bosco

Yeah, I can quote someone. Someone who happens to be a highly respected consumer attorney who has been practicing in this field for almost as long as I have been alive.

You can bluster about on the internet all you'd like, but right there is a very substantial list of case law where debt collectors have lost FDCPA lawsuits to people other than their debtors. As to your points:

- In this instance, they are not contacting the debtor, they are contacting someone who now has the debtor's old phone number. We both know contact information changes frequently.

- Harassment is subjective. I wouldn't argue that a debt collector doing what you described is within the bounds of the law until they are put on notice that they are not contacting the debtor. Once that notification has been made, one could easily make the argument that continuing and persistent contact, its daily frequency notwithstanding, falls under harassment.

- I quoted 804 because it shows another portion of the FDCPA that differentiates between "consumer" and "any person" and because it includes the provision that requires the debt collectors to give the name of his employer.

Either way, TinkerBelle is under the impression she has no protection under the law. That is categorically false under both the letter of the law and a boat load of case law.

Last edited:

cosine

2. Cosine - the collectors are not attempting to collect from the OP - they are attempting to collect from the debtor -- different story.
Then why are they calling the OP?

A: they didn't know the phone number changed hands.

Now, how might it go down when the collector does call the phone number previously held by the debtor and now held by the OP? If what they say makes it clear to the OP that the collector is looking for someone else, such as by using the real debtor's real name (the collector would be covered for bona fide error of disclosing a debt because of the phone number change), then the OP only needs to tell them about the phone number change. After that, any further calls fall under 1692b. Maybe 1692c could be applied if the collector thinks the OP is now the debtor. To the extent that 1692c applies, 1692c(c) can be used. 1692b has 1692b(3).

If the collector is NOT making things clear, such as saying "YOU owe $xxxx", then they are operating in a different way, and 1692c most likely is the applicable section. I don't think it really came down that way, though.

Maybe you should trying being on the other side sometime. And no, I don't mean being a deadbeat (you'd never do that). I just mean being on the end of an error by a debt collector. And contrary to what you might think, those kinds of errors happen frequently. Same or similar name I suspect is most common (has happened to me 3 times, but the collectors quit calling or writing when I told them they had the wrong person). For that I suspect their skip traces are just poor quality and they call each of a few phone numbers they get with name matches (someone with the same name as me lived on the same block of the same street as I did for one location I lived at in the past). In this case, they probably were previously engaging the real debtor at the phone number in question, who decided to use the "change phone number" method of cutting it off (though it could have been the "move somewhere else" method just as easily). The collector should understand that, since it is a common method used by deadbeats.

I stand by my opinion that the FDCPA protections are available to the OP.

justalayman

the problem with the posters here other than ron and DC is they are not living in the real world. While their is a courts action available, it is a real pain in the ass to have to deal with it and usually not worth the time to take it on. As DC stated, threatening a collector is not going to phase them. They hear it all the time and rarely is the threat carried out.

In a perfect world, the responses would be great. We don't live in a perfect world.

Now, how might it go down when the collector does call the phone number previously held by the debtor and now held by the OP? If what they say makes it clear to the OP that the collector is looking for someone else, such as by using the real debtor's real name (the collector would be covered for bona fide error of disclosing a debt because of the phone number change), then the OP only needs to tell them about the phone number change. After that, any further calls fall under 1692b. Maybe 1692c could be applied if the collector thinks the OP is now the debtor. To the extent that 1692c applies, 1692c(c) can be used. 1692b has 1692b(3).
a collector can use the debtors real name. How the hell else are they supposed to get hold or or information for the real debtor. They can call anybody in the world they believe can provide information on the debtor and use the debtors real name. It is the further information that is restricted.

If the collector is NOT making things clear, such as saying "YOU owe $xxxx", then they are operating in a different way, and 1692c most likely is the applicable section. I don't think it really came down that way, though.
Um, by saying "YOU owe $XXXX", without having the actual debtor on the phone (and the actual debtor identifying themselves as the person intended to be contacted so the collector can claim they did not disclose protected information to a person other than the debtor), they are violating the FDCPA.

§ 804. Acquisition of location information [15 USC 1692b]
Any debt collector communicating with any person other than the consumer for the purpose of acquiring location information about the consumer shall --

(1) identify himself, state that he is confirming or correcting location information concerning the consumer, and, only if expressly requested, identify his employer;

(2) not state that such consumer owes any debt;

(3) not communicate with any such person more than once unless requested to do so by such person or unless the debt collector reasonably believes that the earlier response of such person is erroneous or incomplete and that such person now has correct or complete location information;
If the collector calls back after being told the phone number is incorrect, that alone is a violation of the FDCPA unless they can claim sub 3 applies.

again, attempting to sue is a pain in the ass and often not worth the trouble. I would suggest making a report to the FTC and and state agency if there is a state version of the FDCPA in play.

I have a different way of dealing with collectors such as this though. My phone number was used by a deadbeat that wrote bad checks (I'm guessing she loved buying Christmas presents as that is when most of the calls came in). She used my phone number and unless she was Grandma Moses and doing this for a long time, she wasn't old enough to have it before me. I had it near 25 years.

If they did not accept my report of her using my phone number and I had no idea who she was, I start playing games. Yes, it takes time and can be a hassle but it can also be fun.

Once I realize who it is, I often start with:

can you hold? I'll be right back.

then we start the game of what I call: terminal hold

the object of the game it to see how long you can get them to wait to speak to you. I ask if they will hold. I then set the phone down. Give it a couple minutes and come back. If they are still on the line, ask them to hold again. You'll be right back. Check back in a few minutes, if you remember. Continue until they hang up. If you have caller ID, you can call them back and start all over. My record is 25 minutes.

game 2:

what's for dinner

ask them to hold. Set the phone down. Ignore them from then on. Start speaking to others in your house about whatever comes to mind. Speak loudly enough so they can hear you. Asking the wife what's for dinner is a good conversation starter; we having potatoes with the chicken? What kind? Mashed? Are we having gravy? and on and on.

If you like, you can make comments about that stupid collector waiting for you on the phone.

No idea what the longest anybody has waited for me to come back. I eventually check and they have hung up some time prior to me getting back to them

game 3: whoops

when they call, ask if they will hold. Gently and oh so quietly hang up the phone.

If they call back, explain you were somehow disconnected. Ask if they can hold. Again, quietly hang up the phone. repeat forever

game 4: date night

I start conversations with the collector. Where are they? What's the weather? Eventually you can get to: you sound cute. Care to go on a date? Heck, you would be amazed how you can sway an unfocused collector into conversations about so many different topics.

game 5: I'm writing this down

when they call, tell them you need to write everything down because your memory isn't so good. Never had a person tell me to get lost at that point. Then, when they start talking, I let them get out 3 or 4 words. I start to slowly repeat what they said about the speed I would be writing. When they get the 3rd or 4th word out, I tell them to hold on, they are getting ahead of me. Then, after I slowly repeat their words, ; go ahead, I'm ready. Three or 4 more words and: hold on, I'm writing this down.

of course you are writing down nothing. You would be amazed how long they will try to get out their entire conversation.

for fun, you can claim you spilled something on your paper and they need to start over from the very beginning since what you had is now not readable.

if they get through their entire spiel, tell them you have never heard of the person they are talking about and to not call back. If they do, well, we start over. Choose whatever game you like.

Many collectors make a percentage or bonus. If you are wasting their time, they are losing money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">