• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

Hope I am in the right forum:

An employee of a pharmacy visits the doctor for a health problem and receives prescription medication.
The employee takes the prescription to a different branch of the pharmacy she works for so that fellow employees do not become aware of her health problem.
For reasons still unknown, the district manager of this pharmacy chain accessed the employee's record regarding her prescription and entered notes into it informing other employees that they are not to refill the prescription... in short, the notations made it sound as if the employee was abusing prescription drugs.
Any employee that accessed the record when the prescription was to be refilled would see these notes.
Also, a tthe time the notes were made, the district manager apparently spoke with the local branch manager, and word trickled down to other employees... in short, the employee's attempt to keep her medical issues private was circumvented by a higher ranking manager in the chain.

Do the records kept at the pharmacy qualify as protected, private medical records?
Does an employee of a pharmacy have a reasonable expectation to privacy of the medical records?
Typically, this information would not be considered part of the personnel file and should not be viewed by anyone, correct?
If employer/employee laws do not apply, what about the expectation of privacy of the customer?
The employee went to a different branch expecting privacy and now all coworkers know of her problem. So far she has not really suffered any kind of damage, other than that her coworkers now know of her private medical problem. All she is seeking is for the notes in the file to be removed and that she be allowed to receive her perscriptions through this pharmacy (as an employee she gets a discount).
Anyway... I'm sure you get the gist... the employer got in to what is believed to be confidential information and leaked it out to the other employees.

She is going to contact the HR department and discuss it with them and hopefully it will be taken care of internally.

Ultimately, the question here is... what laws may apply to this type of privacy violation, and is this a matter she can seek damages for if the employer fails to correct it?

rmet4nzkx

mightymoose_22 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hope I am in the right forum:

An employee of a pharmacy visits the doctor for a health problem and receives prescription medication.
The employee takes the prescription to a different branch of the pharmacy she works for so that fellow employees do not become aware of her health problem.
For reasons still unknown, the district manager of this pharmacy chain accessed the employee's record regarding her prescription and entered notes into it informing other employees that they are not to refill the prescription... in short, the notations made it sound as if the employee was abusing prescription drugs.
Any employee that accessed the record when the prescription was to be refilled would see these notes.
Also, a tthe time the notes were made, the district manager apparently spoke with the local branch manager, and word trickled down to other employees... in short, the employee's attempt to keep her medical issues private was circumvented by a higher ranking manager in the chain.

Do the records kept at the pharmacy qualify as protected, private medical records?
Does an employee of a pharmacy have a reasonable expectation to privacy of the medical records?
Typically, this information would not be considered part of the personnel file and should not be viewed by anyone, correct?
If employer/employee laws do not apply, what about the expectation of privacy of the customer?
The employee went to a different branch expecting privacy and now all coworkers know of her problem. So far she has not really suffered any kind of damage, other than that her coworkers now know of her private medical problem. All she is seeking is for the notes in the file to be removed and that she be allowed to receive her perscriptions through this pharmacy (as an employee she gets a discount).
Anyway... I'm sure you get the gist... the employer got in to what is believed to be confidential information and leaked it out to the other employees.

She is going to contact the HR department and discuss it with them and hopefully it will be taken care of internally.

Ultimately, the question here is... what laws may apply to this type of privacy violation, and is this a matter she can seek damages for if the employer fails to correct it?
What is the Rx?
What other Rx does she take?
Is this the woman trying to get custody of her child in your other threads?
There are reporting requirements, This information is needed to advise.

No.. this is not the woman fighting for custody or anyone related to that matter... entirely different issue.

I do not know the prescription, or if there are any others... didn't ask. However I do know it is for a liver problem if that helps at all. I will ask her what it is.

As far as she knows, regardless of what the prescription is, the district manager has no business looking in there anyway and certainly shouldn't be adding notations to it and discussing it with the local manager... then the local manager spills the beans to someone else... and it continues...

I think all she wants is for the notations in the record to be removed so there is no interference with her getting her medication. She wants to know why the person got into the record and who they spoke with... and who knows how many other people's private info is being viewed.

However, if the local HR isn't able to deal with it she is hoping for some advice on how she may proceed... what her options may be... relevant code sections, etc... Certainly she has more options than to put up with it, and she shouldn't have to go to another pharmacy where she can't use her employee discounts (I assume she gets employee discounts).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">