• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation and Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tb1234

What is the name of your state? TX

I recently graduated from college and got a job this week working for a company base out of Houston. Lately my probation officer has informed me that I will up for random testing and that she may call me and make me come in for testing. The problem is that I work 730 am to 530 pm and that I will not be able to make my appointments or testing during the week. I have been on probation for 18 months and have 6 months remaining. I was put on probation for a DWI. The DWI was dropped and reduced to an Obstruction of the Highway. This is why I am on probation (The DWI was dropped). I am scheduled to see her next week and I start my job on the 17th of March.

My questions: What can I do to avoid missing an appointment or random testing? Is there anyway I can get my sentenced reduced? If I can't get my sentenced reduced and I can't see my PO during the week, what must I do to not violate probation?

BL

You shouldn't have taken a job that interferes with your probation responsibilities .

You knew your requirements before accepting the job .

If you didn't want probation and the requirements that go along with it , you could have opted to do the time .

Since you will be meeting w/ your PO before your job begins , you can discuss it then .

las365

So I guess your new employer is unaware that you are on probation.

Will you be working in Houston? Surely you can work something out with your probation officer so that you can do your random testing at a facility there during your lunch break. I would be very surprised if she wanted to interefere with you having gainful employment - making you a responsible person is part of the goal of probation, in my opinion; however, the excuse that you can't possibly do what you are supposed to do under your probation because of the demands of your job is not going to fly.

If you have to, you could tell the employer the truth and ask for an accomodation to fulfill your obligations of probation. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">