• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation Violation 11 Years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kskevinshuman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

Hi I got a DUI in the year 2000. I ended up pleading guilty by 2002. After pleading guilty I was put on probation. I completed all of the probation obligations except for 1. I did not go to the DUI course evaluation. I thought the evaluation was on the last Tuesday of the course but it was on the second Tuesday. I then moved to Ga. I have been in Ga for 10 years. I have moved back to Fl & want to get my drivers license. I have found out that I have a warrant for probation violation. I have called my probation office. The officer I had back in 2002 is no longer there so I was put in contact with the officer of the day. She said I should either get a lawyer or turn my self in. The DUI was in Broward county - ft lauderdale. So I am looking for the best course of action. Turn my self in, or hire a lawyer. I wonder if i will have to take the dui course again. I mean its been 13 years without a drivers licence. Isn't there a choice of going to dui course or driver suspension for a year. Have I done my time. How much trouble is it for me to get this taken care of & get my licence.
Thank You
Kevin

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Florida

Hi I got a DUI in the year 2000. I ended up pleading guilty by 2002. After pleading guilty I was put on probation. I completed all of the probation obligations except for 1. I did not go to the DUI course evaluation. I thought the evaluation was on the last Tuesday of the course but it was on the second Tuesday. I then moved to Ga. I have been in Ga for 10 years. I have moved back to Fl & want to get my drivers license. I have found out that I have a warrant for probation violation. I have called my probation office. The officer I had back in 2002 is no longer there so I was put in contact with the officer of the day. She said I should either get a lawyer or turn my self in. The DUI was in Broward county - ft lauderdale. So I am looking for the best course of action. Turn my self in, or hire a lawyer. I wonder if i will have to take the dui course again. I mean its been 13 years without a drivers licence. Isn't there a choice of going to dui course or driver suspension for a year. Have I done my time. How much trouble is it for me to get this taken care of & get my licence.
Thank You
Kevin
It isn't about whether or not you have been "punished enough".
You never followed through with your probabtion requirements. You thought it was on Day A and it turned out to be on Day B. Was it only offered once every ten years? Why didn't you call to reschedule for next available date? Why didn't you call your probation officer to assist you?

Last edited:

kskevinshuman

Yes thank you for your comment. I guess what you are telling me is the questions the judge will ask me. So I will be prepared for that thank you.
I am also looking for my best course of action now.
Thank You

dave33

Yes thank you for your comment. I guess what you are telling me is the questions the judge will ask me. So I will be prepared for that thank you.
I am also looking for my best course of action now.
Thank You
Get an attorney, the judge will most certainly not be happy. goodluck.

BL

You can either have an attorney , or turn yourself in .The bench warrant will not go away.

A lawyer may be able to help you avoid jail time until your court hearing after you are booked and processed.

Bench warrants are there for the purpose of making sure you are in court , presumably held in jail until court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">