• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with dishonest bank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL
Suggestions, please, for the course of action to take.
I have a HELOC with a federal bank in town. The bank has changed names (ownership) about three times in the last 10 years. The HELOC my spouse and I took out about 10 years ago has evidently been "called." I am to pay the entire amount due immediatly. But that is not what I have been told my the officials at the bank. Upon receiving a letter from them about a month ago, I took it to the office and they told me that it needed to be renewed (reapply for the loan), but they would not give me any loan papers to fill out. They said they'd call and do it over the phone. They didn't. I went in again, talked to someone else who said I just needed to fill out new papers. When I asked him for a copy to take with me, he "couldn't find" them but would mail them to me. He didn't. I asked what I needed to do in the meantime while all of this was being "processed." He told me to pay the regular note as usual. I did. They sent the loan to collections before I paid the note on the due date (the letter I got from them was dated the day the usual payment was due), did not subtract the amount of the note that I was told to pay, and said that the entire amount was due and payable NOW. Now all of these evasions and lies have messed my credit since they sent this to collections and at the same time was telling me that all I needed to do was sign a new loan document and keep paying the note. Suggestions please. Would an attorney be able to help with this?

acmb05

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AL
Suggestions, please, for the course of action to take.
I have a HELOC with a federal bank in town. The bank has changed names (ownership) about three times in the last 10 years. The HELOC my spouse and I took out about 10 years ago has evidently been "called." I am to pay the entire amount due immediatly. But that is not what I have been told my the officials at the bank. Upon receiving a letter from them about a month ago, I took it to the office and they told me that it needed to be renewed (reapply for the loan), but they would not give me any loan papers to fill out. They said they'd call and do it over the phone. They didn't. I went in again, talked to someone else who said I just needed to fill out new papers. When I asked him for a copy to take with me, he "couldn't find" them but would mail them to me. He didn't. I asked what I needed to do in the meantime while all of this was being "processed." He told me to pay the regular note as usual. I did. They sent the loan to collections before I paid the note on the due date (the letter I got from them was dated the day the usual payment was due), did not subtract the amount of the note that I was told to pay, and said that the entire amount was due and payable NOW. Now all of these evasions and lies have messed my credit since they sent this to collections and at the same time was telling me that all I needed to do was sign a new loan document and keep paying the note. Suggestions please. Would an attorney be able to help with this?
You need to make a call to the home office of this bank. Going to your local branch is not going to do much good for you. Apparently they don't communicate very well with the home office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">