• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with apt. water bill...broken meter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gotalife

What is the name of your state?TN

I began having problems with my water bill about 2 yrs. ago. To make a long story short, I have been told that my meter is broken. The apt. mgr. told me to pay $40 a month which was approx. avg. of my last 3 bills at that time. I did this for about a yr. although I was constantly having to argue with the billing service about the amount of my bill. After the first year I asked that the amount be reduced because there is now one less person in the apt. and I don't get any breaks when I am the only person in the apt. for an extended period. The amount was lowered to $30. Still the billing Co. cannot get this straight and bill me for random amounts. I have gotten tired of calling and writing and just send me $30 each month with a note that I will not pay any of what they say are past due amounts.

I guess my question is what can I do to end this frustrating situation. The "past due" amount is mounting and I'm sure at some point they will turn my water off. What would you suggest I do if this happens? No one seems in any hurry to fix the meter. The apt. mgr. tells me that it is the billing company's responsibility and the billing co. says that they'd be happy to come look at the meter for a $65 service fee. To be honest, I am prob. just as well off paying the $30 a month, which is why I haven't pursued the matter more aggressively. I am just tired of having to fight about the amount of my bill EVERY month.

Also, this company charges a fee of $10 if your payment is late. In my case this amounts to a charge of 33% of my bill. Is this even legal? No other utility gets away with such an outrageous amount.

Thanks in advance.

FarmerJ

From the description in your letter , Is this a privately owned submeter ? If so call your states public utility commision to learn if they have any rules regarding complaints and disputes regarding privately owned metering systems . If the meter were owned by a city public works dept this issue would have been resolved long ago . BTW keep your communications with your LL about this in written form using at the least certificates of mailing so you have proof of your complaint .

Gotalife

Thanks, I'll try that.

Any thoughts about the excessive late fee? Under the circumstances, I do my best not to be late but my Dec. bill was due 4 days earlier than the previous months and on the Tues. after a holiday weekend. I had mailed the previous payment on the 4th and it got there on time but this bill was due on the 4th. The 1st was a Sat. (New years day) so I couldn't even get it in the mail until the 3rd. My fault I guess but it just burns my hide to get fleeced by these people. Just adds insult to injury.

south

Why do you leave the bills to the last second?

Gotalife said:
Thanks, I'll try that.

Any thoughts about the excessive late fee? Under the circumstances, I do my best not to be late but my Dec. bill was due 4 days earlier than the previous months and on the Tues. after a holiday weekend. I had mailed the previous payment on the 4th and it got there on time but this bill was due on the 4th. The 1st was a Sat. (New years day) so I couldn't even get it in the mail until the 3rd. My fault I guess but it just burns my hide to get fleeced by these people. Just adds insult to injury.

Gotalife

Single mom, four kids, full-time student, deadbeat ex. I pay my bills when I have the money.

Farmer, yes, I will be glad to let you know what I find out.

A

absconder

At 1st I thought this was a community water bill divveyed up, but you have a meter? Get the usage and ask the water company for a reality check then go to court if you have to. Utilities have rates for certain usage.

south

Then you get a late fee you cannot be pissed at utility co for that

Gotalife said:

Single mom, four kids, full-time student, deadbeat ex. I pay my bills when I have the money.

Farmer, yes, I will be glad to let you know what I find out.

Gotalife

Dude, I acknowledged that the late payment was my fault. I was just asking if anyone had any thoughts about the 33% late fee. Seems userous to me.

As to the meter readings they don't make any sense. The gallons used have no relation to the charges. Often there is not an amount used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">