• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Product Ruined My Floor!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? CA

We recently stained a concrete floor in our garage and wanted to apply an epoxy surface coating to protect the stain and the concrete from the oil, grease and grime. When the epoxy dried, it developed a bunch of opaque white splotches on the surface. It has totally ruined the appearance of the floor. We complained to the epoxy company and they sent some technicians out to look at the floor to try to figure out what happened and what to do about it. They said the acidity of the floor was too high and it reacted with the epoxy, causing the splotchy appearance. However, before we (my contractor) applied the epoxy he called the company for application instructions. He followed their instructions closely.

To fix this problem, we will have to remove (by sanding) all of the epoxy, re-stain and re-epoxy. I estimate this cost to be about $3,000.00

My question is, how much is the epoxy company liable for? They have already acknowledged that they are liable because they gave us incorrect instructions and have offered to replace their product for free (about $700). But are they liable for the other expenses with correcting this problem?

seniorjudge

Did you try this stuff on a small portion of the floor first?

Every product I have ever seen like this advises you to try it in an out-of-the-way place first.

I'd take the $700 and be happy; you'll never get anything more from them.

fairisfair

Did you try this stuff on a small portion of the floor first?

Every product I have ever seen like this advises you to try it in an out-of-the-way place first.

I'd take the $700 and be happy; you'll never get anything more from them.
I would do the same, you are fortunate they are even offering to replace the product. You would be hard pressed to "prove" that you followed every instruction completely

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">