• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lawkev

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello,

I need to know how can a man prove that he is giving his children's mother money for the children? They are breaking up and prefer not to go to court if at all possible. If they end up in court and she claims he owes her or he never paid how can he prove that he paid. Could he make copies of money orders for example? Would that stand up in court?

Thank You

Last edited:

BL

What is the name of your state? New York

Hello,

I need to know how can a man proove that he is giving his childrens mother money for the children? They are breaking up and prefer not to go to court if at all possible. If they end up in court and she claims he owes her or he never paid how can he proove that he paid. Could he make copies of money orders for example? Would that stand up in court?

Thank You
If He plans on paying according to the Child support standards act and the child support calculator , why not make it legal ?

If he's not the legally established father legally he won't have to pay child support unless or until he is .

Sure he could always write in child support in what the M/O is being used for , but it would be considered a gift .

If the mother goes on State aid , or is on State aid , the State will file anyways .

Otherwise any child support payments would start from the date of filing .

BL

What do you mean?

Thank You
If the state is not involved , child support payments would start from the date a Petition for child support is filed in Court .

You ought to be sure the child is legally yours before being legally declared the father and paying CS , if you aren't already .

Last edited:

lawkev

So in other words there is no problem in paying without involving the court? Do you know if the father gets any tax breaks for paying without involving the court? I heard it must be done through the court in order to get a tax break.

LdiJ

So in other words there is no problem in paying without involving the court? Do you know if the father gets any tax breaks for paying without involving the court? I heard it must be done through the court in order to get a tax break.
There are no federal tax breaks connected with child support whether its paid in or outside of court.

A non custodial parent may get the option of claiming the children as tax exemptions and for any other deductions/credits that federal tax law might allow a non custodial parent to claim, if the non custodial parent raises thoses issues in court and a judge awards those issues to the non-custodial parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">