• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

proper permit to work on my cars at home? OREGON

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

an inoperable vehicle is defined as any vehicle which
does not display a current state vehicle license and/or tags or which cannot be moved without being either
repaired or dismantled or which is no longer safely usable for the purposes for which it was manufactured.
so, for a vehicle to set in your yard MORE THAN 30 DAYS it must have current tags, be able to move on its own and be safe enough to drive on the highway.

I would argue a chassis is not a vehicle and therefore not covered under this statute.

parts are not a vehicle and not covered under the ordinance

so, you can either put them in a garage, license them and make them operable and street worthy or not keep them on the property for more than 30 days. If you have a big club, maybe you can trailer everybody's cars around to each other's yards every 3 1/2 weeks.

I was looking for some sort of license or permit that I could get to allow me to continue my family hobby if at all possible?
the only license or permit that would allow you to keep them would be an automotive repair shop or a salvage yard. Both are most likely unavailable to you and more expensive than you care to invest in.

ecmst12

For purposes of this section, an inoperable vehicle is defined as any vehicle which does not display a current state vehicle license and/or tags or which cannot be moved without being either repaired or dismantled or which is no longer safely usable for the purposes for which it was manufactured.
So...you make sure that any vehicles on your property RUN and that you have them properly tagged, registered, and insured. Then you can spend all the time you need making them pretty.

interceptor999

Yeah that's part of the issue, Its kinda hard to make them "run" at the moment, My Jeep had a wire fire I was going to restore that next summer, My Old crown Vic is getting a new engine and chassis, that's what the new chassis is for, and the RX7 TII we were in the process of swapping out the headlights and upgrading the suspension, fuel system, exhaust, and the headlights when he stopped by and he decided to red flag that as well even though it has good tags.:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah that's part of the issue, Its kinda hard to make them "run" at the moment, My Jeep had a wire fire I was going to restore that next summer, My Old crown Vic is getting a new engine and chassis, that's what the new chassis is for, and the RX7 TII we were in the process of swapping out the headlights and upgrading the suspension, fuel system, exhaust, and the headlights when he stopped by and he decided to red flag that as well even though it has good tags.:confused:
Right - because it is not legally operable. And, what you are doing is not "restoring" vehicles, it's repairing junkers. :rolleyes:

ecmst12

Your multiple broken down vehicles are lowering property values in your neighborhood. It's excessive and unnecessary and that's what this law is designed to prevent. Bottom line - don't bring a car home if you can't make it run within 30 days. Your backyard mechanic hobby is going to have to get put on hold until you can secure an INDOOR area to store the cars. Perhaps if you had limited your collection to ONE junker at a time, you would not have attracted all this attention.

justalayman

Yeah that's part of the issue, Its kinda hard to make them "run" at the moment,
then that limits your options.

Your next step would be to find out how the issuer of the ordinance interprets the term "building". I don't know if you are familiar with Harbor Freight but they sell (as well as many other places) sell portable garages

www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/portable-garages.html

interceptor999

we moved them...I'd hardly consider the Lincolns and the Rx7 "junkers" thems expensive cars! ...perhaps cheap at face value....just wait till you get into cost of ownership.:rolleyes: My crown Vic, well one mans old grandma car is another mans dream car...And no we were not just patching the old junk together like some redneck high school trailer trash dropout. My intentions was to build a completely different crown Victoria that is truly unique...with the focus on performance and handling...yes old land yachts can handle very well.
Anyways that's beside the point...none of that matters now because I cannot do anything I planned out here.
So I moved the rides I WILL NOT part with someplace safe and away from here....Rx7 now runs now that we had a couple days of good weather to deal with stuff.:cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">