• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property and Medicaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skylyn

What is the name of your state? PA

I'm trying to help a friend out who might be doing the wrong thing. Here's the situation:

This person's grandmother is in ill health and has very few assets outside of her house, which is in ok shape, but it is in a pricey neighborhood.

1. If the grandmother Quit Claims the house (it is currently owned soley by her free-and-clear) to this person, and then goes into an assisted living facility (on Medicaid) sometime in the near future, could/would this be Medicaid fraud? How far back does Medicaid look?

2. If this person "buys" the house from the grandmother for, lets say, $50,000 and the house has a Fair Market Value of $105,000, and the Grandmother then goes into the same scenario as #1, could/would this be Medicaid fraud?

I think she (the friend) is going to get into trouble and should just purchase her own house and forget about the grandmother's house. Am I just paranoid or are my fears grounded in reality? Thanks in advance for any advice.

HomeGuru

Skylyn said:
What is the name of your state? PA

I'm trying to help a friend out who might be doing the wrong thing. Here's the situation:

This person's grandmother is in ill health and has very few assets outside of her house, which is in ok shape, but it is in a pricey neighborhood.

1. If the grandmother Quit Claims the house (it is currently owned soley by her free-and-clear) to this person, and then goes into an assisted living facility (on Medicaid) sometime in the near future, could/would this be Medicaid fraud? How far back does Medicaid look?

2. If this person "buys" the house from the grandmother for, lets say, $50,000 and the house has a Fair Market Value of $105,000, and the Grandmother then goes into the same scenario as #1, could/would this be Medicaid fraud?

I think she (the friend) is going to get into trouble and should just purchase her own house and forget about the grandmother's house. Am I just paranoid or are my fears grounded in reality? Thanks in advance for any advice.

**A: the only advice you should give to your friend is to hire a real estate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">