• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damage by a company hired by the city

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fgs

What is the name of your state? AL
I'm not sure this goes in this forum, so if not please let me know.

The company that my city hired to pick up garbage has rammed into and broken my metal mailbox with their garbage truck. There are witnesses and I have pictures of the broken box. I called the company and told them. First question -- can you prove we did it? Anyway, the manager came out to inspect damage and I told him that I paid about $500 for the box, post, and installation. It's a specific setup required by the residential association. All of this was around Thanksgiving. I told them that I wanted to get the company that did the original installation to replace the box and repair post as necessary. I did not want the garbage company to fix the box because I felt I would not have any recourse if they did it wrong. He asked for something in writing from the box company showing what it would cost. Long story short, I provided what they wanted and they sang and danced for about two months telling me as late as three days ago that the check was in the mail. I came home today to find that someone had been on my property without my permission and botched a fix on my mailbox. They did not call to say they intended to do this before or after. I call it trespassing. We have an unauthorized botch on a mailbox that was supposed to be replaced and witnesses that proves they caused the problem. My intial thought is to sue them in small claims since I can't force them to repair the botch job (and don't want to since they aren't a company set up to do this). What recourse do I have against this company? Thanks :mad:

LindaP777

File against them in small claims court. Be prepared to prove the recent repair was not done correctly, or with the proper materials.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? AL
I'm not sure this goes in this forum, so if not please let me know.

The company that my city hired to pick up garbage has rammed into and broken my metal mailbox with their garbage truck. There are witnesses and I have pictures of the broken box. I called the company and told them. First question -- can you prove we did it? Anyway, the manager came out to inspect damage and I told him that I paid about $500 for the box, post, and installation. It's a specific setup required by the residential association. All of this was around Thanksgiving. I told them that I wanted to get the company that did the original installation to replace the box and repair post as necessary. I did not want the garbage company to fix the box because I felt I would not have any recourse if they did it wrong. He asked for something in writing from the box company showing what it would cost. Long story short, I provided what they wanted and they sang and danced for about two months telling me as late as three days ago that the check was in the mail. I came home today to find that someone had been on my property without my permission and botched a fix on my mailbox. They did not call to say they intended to do this before or after. I call it trespassing. We have an unauthorized botch on a mailbox that was supposed to be replaced and witnesses that proves they caused the problem. My intial thought is to sue them in small claims since I can't force them to repair the botch job (and don't want to since they aren't a company set up to do this). What recourse do I have against this company? Thanks :mad:
**A: time to contact the city officials. The high up ones.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">