• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property deed found with my name on it , is it legally mine ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

z7palms

What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE .
My mother has been very sick for a long time and has been in and out of the hospitals and rehab nursing homes for the past three or four years. She has alzhimers and other problems .
Recently the women in my family went through her belongings and cleaned up her house in case we needed to dispose of things or get anything settled on her behalf .
They found her house / property deed and it had been deeded to me from the year 2000 . I had no knowledge of this whatsoever . I had been the nearest family member to her and took care of her over the years .
The deed has never been recorded in the county register of deeds office but kept in her trunk for the past 6 years . It was signed by her and notorized by the county tax assessior in 2000 .

It says for the sum of ten dollars , she sold it to me .

* (1). Is this deed good and is it my house and property ?
This transaction was never recorded in the county register of deeds office .
* (2 ). Could it be taken away from me by debts she may currently have ?
She has paid taxes on it all this time .
She has kept insurances paid up to date by bank drafts .
*(3). Where do I go from here ?What is the name of your state?

pojo2

Didn't you ask this question under another username and with a bit different twist? IF so then please reference it.

seniorjudge

z7palms said:
What is the name of your state? TENNESSEE .
My mother has been very sick for a long time and has been in and out of the hospitals and rehab nursing homes for the past three or four years. She has alzhimers and other problems .
Recently the women in my family went through her belongings and cleaned up her house in case we needed to dispose of things or get anything settled on her behalf .
They found her house / property deed and it had been deeded to me from the year 2000 . I had no knowledge of this whatsoever . I had been the nearest family member to her and took care of her over the years .
The deed has never been recorded in the county register of deeds office but kept in her trunk for the past 6 years . It was signed by her and notorized by the county tax assessior in 2000 .

It says for the sum of ten dollars , she sold it to me .

* (1). Is this deed good and is it my house and property ?
This transaction was never recorded in the county register of deeds office .
* (2 ). Could it be taken away from me by debts she may currently have ?
She has paid taxes on it all this time .
She has kept insurances paid up to date by bank drafts .
*(3). Where do I go from here ?What is the name of your state?
A deed, to be effective, must be signed, sealed, and delivered. This deed was not delivered by the grantor (ma) and now she is incompetent and cannot deliver it.

The deed is worthless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">