• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property owner died and family says I have to move

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I am inquiring for a friend.
He has been living on a property in his 5th wheel trailer for 5 years. He was basically the property caretaker. The property owner has recently passed away and the family has told him he has to move. They have offered to pay for his moving into a Rv park, and to call it good on a tractor he was buying from the property owner, but won't give him the money until he has moved his trailer and belongings out, but not the tractor. That has to stay until everything is off the property and then they will give him the money and he can take the tractor at that time. This all is to be done on or before the 31st of this month, four days from now. Can they do this? If they offer the money and it's all in writing and signed by all parties shouldn't he be able to get the money to move on now?

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

I am inquiring for a friend.
He has been living on a property in his 5th wheel trailer for 5 years. He was basically the property caretaker. The property owner has recently passed away and the family has told him he has to move. They have offered to pay for his moving into a Rv park, and to call it good on a tractor he was buying from the property owner, but won't give him the money until he has moved his trailer and belongings out, but not the tractor. That has to stay until everything is off the property and then they will give him the money and he can take the tractor at that time. This all is to be done on or before the 31st of this month, four days from now. Can they do this? If they offer the money and it's all in writing and signed by all parties shouldn't he be able to get the money to move on now?
"friend" should post for him/herself:)

justalayman

If they offer the money and it's all in writing and signed by all parties shouldn't he be able to get the money to move on now?
it will depend on exactly what the contract states so tell friend to take the contract to an attorney who can read it and offer an opinion.

xylene

It is perfectly legal to incentivize a tenant to leave early.

He should take this deal. There is no reason why you can't move a mobile vehicle borne trailer in 4 days.

It is perfectly legal to incentivize a tenant to leave early.

He should take this deal. There is no reason why you can't move a mobile vehicle borne trailer in 4 days.
Yes I told him he needs to take the deal. He is he just doesn't understand why they won't give home the money so he can pay the Rv park to move in and also to pay for storage for some of his stuff.
Thank you
Also to TD he asked me to inquire because he doesn't really know how to do this kind of thing and I said I would do this for him because this is what friends do for friends, help them out.
If you don't want to answer then don't.
Thanks.

justalayman

I suspect something along the lines that they fear if he gets the money before he leaves he won't leave and it will take them a lot of time, effort, and possibly money to get him out of there.

if that is the case then if he cannot pay for the activities himself first, he is in a quandary, especially since he only has a few days to exercise his options.

STEPHAN

If I was the LL I would do it the same. Why pay him and risk that he takes off and does not move the trailer?

I suspect something along the lines that they fear if he gets the money before he leaves he won't leave and it will take them a lot of time, effort, and possibly money to get him out of there.

if that is the case then if he cannot pay for the activities himself first, he is in a quandary, especially since he only has a few days to exercise his options.
He is taking the deal. I told him to agree and sign. I spoke to the Rv park and he can pay them when he move the trailer in. It's the best deal I feel he will get. It's either go with how the family wants it to go or they will retract to offer and proceed with eviction.
He is ready to move on and doesn't want to drag this out, it was just all very sudden and he was unprepared to move so quickly.
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps he could ask them to pay the moving costs directly to the folks doing the moving?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">