• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protect myself

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

swilson13

What is the name of your state?california
I want to go to a company (clothing) and ask, ( or show), them a couple of my ideas on belt buckles, buttons, or a different style. What if after the meeting they say ok thanks, and then a couple of months later I start seeing my ideas (what was talked about at the meeting) they are using my ideas. How can I or what can I do to prevent this before I go to the meeting? I don't have the products made, I was just going to show them on their products

seniorjudge

swilson13 said:
I want to go to a company (clothing) and ask, ( or show), them a couple of my ideas on belt buckles, buttons, or a different style. What if after the meeting they say ok thanks, and then a couple of months later I start seeing my ideas (what was talked about at the meeting) they are using my ideas. How can I or what can I do to prevent this before I go to the meeting? I don't have the products made, I was just going to show them on their products
Hire an intellectual property lawyer.

Stand by for other opinions.

divgradcurl

swilson13 said:
You can register copyright in the creative aspects of the stuff, then if they steal your designs, you can sue them for copyright infringement. You could also refuse to show them the designs without a signed nondisclosure agreement in place, although most companies won't sign an NDA, but it's worth a shot. You might want to take SJ's advice and consult a lawyer be fore showing your works around.

swilson13

anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks for the replies so far. Also, lets say I have the trademark "RUNNY". Another company has the trademark "RUNNY INK." Now is it okay for them to put the word "RUNNY" on the front of their shirt and also put, (in small letters, on the back and very bottom of the shirt), "RUNNY INK." on the same shirt?

thanks

Last edited:

divgradcurl

swilson13 said:
Thanks for the replies so far. Also, lets say I have the trademark "RUNNY". Another company has the trademark "RUNNY INK." Now is it okay for them to put the word "RUNNY" on the front of their shirt and also put, (in small letters, on the back and very bottom of the shirt), "RUNNY INK." on the same shirt?

thanks
It would depend in part n the type of trademark you and the other party uave -- if you have a standard character mark on the term "Runny," then their use of the term "Runny" without th "Ink" would likely be infringing. However, if you have a mark with design elements (a logo), then whether or not there is infringment is much less clear, and would depend on a review of the way "Runny" was sued and what your logo looks like. Plus, the strength of the mark may also be an important consideration.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">