• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prove employement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr_Dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My ex does not pay support. I just found out she is working at a lingerie store where they sell and model lingerie. Im pretty sure its all under the table.

Anyone have ideas on how to prove she works there?

Proserpina

My ex does not pay support. I just found out she is working at a lingerie store where they sell and model lingerie. Im pretty sure its all under the table.

Hire a PI or forensic accountant.

(Those are serious suggestions - your options are quite limited, unfortunately)

CSO286

Photos of her working there....copies of the work schedule (usually not too hard to get if you know someone who works there.)

Are you working with a child support enforcment agency? When a cp calls with info, the caseworker generally sends out a verification of emploment to the employer.

If, as you suspect, she is working off the books, then the above solutions can help the CSA prove employer contempt. These are all options you can take on your own, because the CSA will be loathe to pursue employer contmept unless the NCP owes a substantial amount of money, since it can be an expensive process.

Good luck!

Mr_Dad

Photos of her working there....copies of the work schedule (usually not too hard to get if you know someone who works there.)

Are you working with a child support enforcment agency? When a cp calls with info, the caseworker generally sends out a verification of emploment to the employer.

If, as you suspect, she is working off the books, then the above solutions can help the CSA prove employer contempt. These are all options you can take on your own, because the CSA will be loathe to pursue employer contmept unless the NCP owes a substantial amount of money, since it can be an expensive process.

Good luck!
i went to court for child support but she had a lawyer and got out of paying. when we were divorced i made the mistake of saying i would allow her time to get a job. in the divorce paper work it states upon employment she will submit it to the courts. therefore the argued she doesnt have to pay until she is employed. this was almost 2 years ago.

so she owes nothing at this point.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Going in and out of the building frequently doesn't prove she works there - only that she goes in and out frequently. For all those pictures prove, she likes to window shop.

nextwife

If she were a guy, they'd probably have imputed at least minimum wage. That is the very least she should now be responsible for.

CSO286

Go back and ask for a review of child support. If she states that she is unemployed, the courts will most likely impute minimun wage. (Meaning that they will say "You have the ability to be earing at least $X.xx.) They will use the imputed wage to determine a child support obligation.
If money is a concern, contact your local CSA and they will assist you. They'll do almost everything for you if you happen to be a public assitance recipient.

As to taking pics of her entering/leaving the place of business--she'll most likely respond with the fact that she enjoys shopping (or window-shopping) there or she has friends who work there.

Mr_Dad

Go back and ask for a review of child support. If she states that she is unemployed, the courts will most likely impute minimun wage. (Meaning that they will say "You have the ability to be earing at least $X.xx.) They will use the imputed wage to determine a child support obligation.
If money is a concern, contact your local CSA and they will assist you. They'll do almost everything for you if you happen to be a public assitance recipient.

As to taking pics of her entering/leaving the place of business--she'll most likely respond with the fact that she enjoys shopping (or window-shopping) there or she has friends who work there.
im just afraid she will show up with a lawyer again and get out of paying due to what the divorce agreement says. even though that is not what it was supposed to be. i was being nice by giving her time.

i dont qualify for assistance which i think is crazy. i do not make a lot of money and im being forced to pay almost 200 a month to my student loans.

i guess im going to try to get it reevaluated.

Mr_Dad

just found out from a friend who frequents the shop next door that he sees her frequently outside smoking. i dont know if that would help any.

if she doesnt owe support currently will they still send something to her place of employment if i list it on the form?

Proserpina

just found out from a friend who frequents the shop next door that he sees her frequently outside smoking. i dont know if that would help any.

if she doesnt owe support currently will they still send something to her place of employment if i list it on the form?

No...because she doesn't owe any support.

She has to be ordered to pay support before the place of employment will be contacted (and it's not a given that they'll be contacted at all unless a garnishment order is in place).

Mr_Dad

No...because she doesn't owe any support.

She has to be ordered to pay support before the place of employment will be contacted (and it's not a given that they'll be contacted at all unless a garnishment order is in place).
What will happen if I refile for support and she wont admit to working? I do have a witness that would give her rides and another who sees her out side the shop often. Will any of that make a difference?

Proserpina

What will happen if I refile for support and she wont admit to working? I do have a witness that would give her rides and another who sees her out side the shop often. Will any of that make a difference?

This has already been answered; she will probably say she's either browsing, window-shopping or seeing a friend who works there.

You can still file for support - as has been advised, just ask that she's imputed at least minimum wage.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
i dont qualify for assistance which i think is crazy. i do not make a lot of money and im being forced to pay almost 200 a month to my student loans.
Your student loans are likely none of her concern wrt child support. Just as hers would be none of yours.

No. Not at all. Because it proves nothing except that she smokes.

I do have a witness that would give her rides and another who sees her out side the shop often. Will any of that make a difference?
As stated numerous times - it doesn't matter. It doesn't prove that she works there.

Mr_Dad

Your student loans are likely none of her concern wrt child support. Just as hers would be none of yours.

I know that I was just making a statement.

No. Not at all. Because it proves nothing except that she smokes.

As stated numerous times - it doesn't matter. It doesn't prove that she works there.
I never asked about witnesses, I asked about photographs.

Im just confused because of how it went last time. Now I know she has a job but I guess that doesnt make a difference. I guess she can continue to work under the table and there is nothing Ill ever be able to do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">